* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

No Sales for 6 Days

I used to get the First sale around 3rd of every month.With Adwords supporting,i expect at-least one sale a day.In the 1st of this month i had hiked the price by 25%,No sales.
Brought it down 2 days back,still no sales till today.I had tried downloading the setup package,noticed a download problem just once in 20 tries,replaced the download URL with an external mirror.
But i a;ready have an Alternative Download Button.

Is it normal to go without sales for 6 days? Im kind of frustrated.
anonagain Send private email
Monday, May 05, 2014

Unless you normally get a few sales daily, six days is nothing to worry about. I'd rather watch my 3-6-12 months running total sales charts.
Dmitry Leskov @Home Send private email
Tuesday, May 06, 2014

Same thing here...
It happened couple of times during the years, always it was unexplainable except once when Google downgraded me to 20th page for no reason...

Curious thing, when such things happenI even stop receiving bunch of SPAM or Tech.Support questions as if all people suddenly went on a holiday and stopped thinking about Internet at all.
alexandar Send private email
Tuesday, May 06, 2014

Thanks for your responses.I will wait till 10th before reaching any conclusions,
Tuesday, May 06, 2014

Andy Brice Send private email
Tuesday, May 06, 2014

Well, it's that time of the year when sales go down and get better after the summer.

Also 1st of May is a world wide holiday and this year it was paired with a long weekend and possibly good weather.
Jeremy Morassi Send private email
Tuesday, May 06, 2014

The stage where you are getting between 20 and 50 orders per month can be very frustrating.  The Poisson distribution described by Andy results in there being days where you will get 2 or 3 or even 4 orders and you start to believe that things are going well, and then you get a stretch of 5 or 6 days without a single order and you think someone has switched off the internet.

The first week of May has been slow for me too, but whether it is really the May 1 holiday or just a random aberation, who knows? But traffic is down too, so maybe the holiday has had an effect.
fisher Send private email
Tuesday, May 06, 2014

But i simply cannot believe the holiday thing since i get the same amount of clicks from adwords.

But yes,it may be that.
Tuesday, May 06, 2014

Stupid CDN.I just checked now and gives a 404. I switched back to my shared host. Can someone recommend a low cost CDN?
Tuesday, May 06, 2014

Amazon CloudFront
ThistimeAnon Send private email
Tuesday, May 06, 2014

Interesting topic. I also have a fairly low volume product (40-70 sales per month) and fluctuations like that are common and can be emotionally draining.

When I started the business I figured my conversion ratio (CR) would only depend on the quality of the product and website, etc and therefore it would be fairly constant. Well I guess it indeed depends on these factors, but you cannot observe the effect on short terms. Checking CR over a weekly period is pretty meaningless. I mean I often have weeks of 3-5% CR then it suddenly shifts to 12-15% for weeks without any change in the product or rankings. Probably it's just random, and if I had much more traffic it would be more even.

Loosely related, but yeah, that's why you should always do A/B testing over an extended period to find out the effect of a change on your CR. Short term CR fluctuations don't mean anything and will mislead you if you base decisions on them.

Of course check and verify wheter your website is working well, you aren't blocked or blacklisted by major security software, etc.

Markets are different, stating that summer is a slump may not be true for every product. For example mine shines when families reunite and people have lots of free time. Therefore summer and winter are good, the rest are bad for me. Try to find out which are your best periods and adjust your sales strategy respectively.
Zka Send private email
Tuesday, May 06, 2014

Major headache fixed.Got 1 sale today.
I was kind of disturbed for all these days.I think i should stop obsessing over this. I had to shout at some people (which i normally don't.) when their behaviour was annoying me

Seems that i need to draw a line.
Wednesday, May 07, 2014

Jeremy Morassi: "Also 1st of May is a world wide holiday and this year it was paired with a long weekend and possibly good weather."

Which world?  It was not a holiday in Canada.

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko
Gene Wirchenko Send private email
Wednesday, May 07, 2014

I used to have my phone and email client go DING DING DING when a sale would come through :)

When I would not hear dingdingding for 5-6hours, I would go into a depression.

I thinks its a reverse of the "pavlov experiment"

I removed it from my phone, and mail client.  And life is less stressful now.  I'm less anctious to wait for sales, at least now I dont know that there are no sales for 5hours unless I look it up.

Its fun to hear dingdingding  for the first few weeks of launching a product, but then it becomes something your life depends on and the silence will make you depressed.  If you have this, turn it off.  It helps a lot.
I no longer care or stress over no / slow sales.
NewGuyOnTheBlock Send private email
Friday, May 09, 2014

Interesting, I have it the other way round. I had to set up a "dingdingding" alert on my phone so I don't feel the urge to check it every 5 minutes.
Zka Send private email
Friday, May 09, 2014

The "dingding"idea sounds good.I have the urge to check my mail every 10 minutes.First thing i do in the morning is wake up and check for orders.

May be i should stop this,this is causing emotional issues.

Some advice?
Friday, May 09, 2014

I never even thought about the psychological issues associated with sales info on one's computer as some form of operant conditioning.  Wow.  That is not good.  It's just right in the zone for getting under your skin, because it is a variable ratio reinforcement schedule, meaning you get a "reward" (information about a sale) for every x amount of times you check for one, but x varies...sometimes it is 2, sometimes 17, sometimes 6, sometimes 35, then 12, then 3, then 3, then 45... That will keep you pressing the rat lever all day.

The only thing I could suggest is to--if you can--check once a week at a fixed time to break the variable reinforcement aspect.  Like Thursday at 2pm, after lunch is digested.  Or even once a month.  You'll have a more accurate picture anyway, since you'd be integrating over a longer time scale, so the "statistics" are more robust.
Racky Send private email
Friday, May 09, 2014

i have the order info delivered to my personal mailbox.Maybe i should create a new mailbox just for the order emails.And check it like after 2 days or something.
Friday, May 09, 2014

> i have the order info delivered to my personal mailbox.Maybe i should create a new mailbox just for the order emails.And check it like after 2 days or something.

Can you just not get teh order info emailed to you AT ALL, and instead, in order to know your sales, be required to log into some panel on some site, something that requires a few steps each time, to increase the hassle factor and make it easier to procrastinate checking?  I'd also put that site on BlockSite or some similar browser extension, so that every time you want to go to it  you have to disable BlockSite, then check (going through a few steps), then re-enable it.  This way it should make it easiest to check once a week or once a month. 

Two days is a joke--you might as well be checking it every hour.  It's like dieters who weigh themselves every day and then go nuts when the scale isn't showing 2-3 lbs lost every morning, and then they go off their diets. 

Ironically, it's the people for who checking matters the least who check the most often.  The guy who is getting between 35 and 50 sales a day isn't checking very often, probably.
Racky Send private email
Friday, May 09, 2014

Aye, I'm sure I wasn't checking my sales dashboard all the time if I had 20+ sales per day. I'm very far from that though.

Not checking for long periods isn't a very good option either. I must respond quickly if someone is not receiving their registration email. In general I just can't ignore the business for long. Blocking my own site or putting an enforced "cooldown" on the dashboard page already came to my mind to stop the OCD.
Zka Send private email
Friday, May 09, 2014

You can quite easily work out whether a drop in sales is likely to be a statistical blip:

http://successfulsoftware.net/2014/05/11/why-have-my-sales-dropped/
Andy Brice Send private email
Sunday, May 11, 2014

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics