* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Uninstall Survey

Hi All,

I have added an uninstall survey to my product.  However, I am  not getting very many responses.  I noticed an uninstall survey that offered a drawing for a small amount of money if you completed the survey.  I was wondering if anybody had tried this or perhaps other variations on the theme.  I was think of offering a $25, $10,$5 prize for best response one a month.

Thanks for your feed back.
Gary Tarr Send private email
Tuesday, April 29, 2014
I tried an uninstall survey, but got few responses and even fewer useful ones. I think it is too late to engage with most people by the time they have got to this point.
Andy Brice Send private email
Tuesday, April 29, 2014
Cash rewards for uninstalls has the potential of intrinsically encouraging gaming, and providing you with many useless and insincere responses from those interested in the prize and not the application.
Scott Send private email
Tuesday, April 29, 2014
Indirectly related, the existence of an uninstaller often implies a poor architecture, such as apps that stuff random files and overwrite libraries in many places.
Scott Send private email
Tuesday, April 29, 2014
Thanks for all your comments.  One follow-up question.  Are there any other ideas for finding out why potential customers are uninstalling.
Tuesday, April 29, 2014
Your uninstall survey should not be a "survey"
It should be a single question "Why?" (read further)

Simply put a 1-5 Star Rating system, so users can rate it at uninstall.
and put 1 text box for a paragraph.

Do not require either the star rating, or textbox to be filled in.

Your submit button should say Uninstall
not submit, send feedback, etc..

You will get lots of empty submissions, because to complete the uninstall you want users to take the survey.

But the feedback you will get is invaluable.

You will get lots of people that will rate a star.  (which will tell you what the uninstallers think of the program)  Sometimes u get 5 stars and an explanation like, trial was enought, got my work done, etc..  (then you have to change your trial, to not produce 100% work to encourage payment if this is a repeating occurance)

You will also get enough people filling in why they are uninstalling.

Ask only ONE question
Something like:
In a few words please tell us:
"What would make you decide to purchase today?
"What frustrates you most about our [software name]?"
"If it was at a lower price, would you buy it today? How much?"
".... your question here ..."

At the end of the survey, you may want to send a 50% discount coupon to them for taking the survey, to thank them for your time.  This has resulted in actual sales for me.

Not a generic questions "like, leave feedback, or how can we improve are too generic."  Asking what frustrates you most, you'll get responses like,  install process, get errors, its slow, its not what I expected, did not get results promised, etc..
Dont expect people to submit bug reports or detailed explanations at uninstall:)

And you can change these questions every few weeks, depending on how many uninstalls you get to collect enough data.
NewGuyOnTheBlock Send private email
Tuesday, April 29, 2014
I've had an uninstall survey for years, and yes, as you'd expect I get almost no useful responses (about 1 in 40 is useful).  That 1 in 40 has proved more than valuable over the years.  It's saved some sales, and it's highlighted a bug or two I wasn't aware of.  It's also helped to point out features I was missing, gaps in my documentation, and problems in the process flow of the software.  To my mind the hour or two it took to implement a few years back has an ROI measured in thousands of percent by now.  I'm not sure why you wouldn't do it.
Mark Nemtsas Send private email
Tuesday, April 29, 2014
I do get many useful responses for my uninstall survey. Here it is that you can copy:

Gautam Jain Send private email
Wednesday, April 30, 2014
Uninstaller being a sign of poor architecture, am I not getting the joke here or that is indeed a load of bollocks?

Anyway. My uninstall survey is a 12 item radiobutton group, built into the windows executable, which works pretty well. I'm getting results for ~30% of downloads.

Too bad there is no textual input, therefore it's not immensely useful. Sometimes I turn an uninstall into sale by automatically offering a 25% discount to people who choose the "too expensive" option or want some extra features.

The survey proposed by NewGuyOnTheBlock looks really good to me.
Zka Send private email
"existence of an uninstaller often implies a poor architecture"

Is this a Joke or something? Even Android apps needs to be removed going to the application manager.
anonagain Send private email

Just checked out your website.Does people pay for products like Copywhiz? What is your conversion rate for this [if you want to share :) ]
Thanks once again for all your response.  They were very helpful.  I think I am going to add an uninstall survey as any information would be helpful.  I will report back to this thread on the results in a month or so.

Conversion rate for Copywhiz is 5%.

Few months back I tweaked Copywhiz a bit after which the rate has increased.

Being a one-man shop, I am not able to market it well. So downloads are not that great. But the product as such is very useful.

Thursday, May 01, 2014
Yeah, i know how hard it is to be a one man company.
So people are willing to pay for such utilities.Do you make any significant profit from it,Will you be interested in sharing a rough estimate?
Thursday, May 01, 2014
>> So people are willing to pay for such utilities.

Yes. People do pay. Because it saves them loads of manual tedious file copy tasks

>> Will you be interested  in sharing a rough estimate?

Thursday, May 01, 2014
But Gautam, anonagain is thinking of competing with you. How can he know if it's worth his time or not if you won't give him all your confidential private business information? Why are you so unfair and mean to poor anonagain? Don't you believe in freedom of information? Now Gautam, anonagain will like you a bunch if you give him that information, and all your source code as well. So how about it, why not start sharing and caring. After all, information wants to be free.
Scott Send private email
Thursday, May 01, 2014

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics