* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Anyone sell their SAAS App through Google Chrome Store? Sales?

Hi Guys,

Anyone tried to sell their SAAS webapp through the google chrome store?
Seems that you can add any webapp to the chrome store as an app for users to download.

Any success?  Share stories please :)
NewGuyOnTheBlock Send private email
Friday, April 25, 2014

Yes, I did. I have a SaaS guitar app.

But the user doesn't have to download the app (it's a web/SaaS app!). And you don't have to integrate with Googles billing or anything like that, which is good.

Mine ended up being more like a listing in the  Chrome store. My app shows up in the search results, with description, info, screenshots, etc.

If the user clicks on the install button (I forget what the button is labeled, actually), they are redirected to my website / landing page where they can sign up and purchase a subscription for the app.

Seems to be a good source of traffic for my app.  I would recommend it - I don't think it would hurt anyway. Probably increases your PageRank if nothing else
MrShuffles Send private email
Sunday, April 27, 2014

MrShuffles, that sounds like a bit of a loophole that could close at any moment.

Have you considered producing an attractive Android/Chrome app that interfaces with your SaaS?

AC
Reluctantlyregistered Send private email
Monday, April 28, 2014

Yeah, I was surprised  I could list my app on the Chrome store like that.

But there's lots of other apps that are doing the same thing, I.e.  "Feedly " - Google Reader replacement. That's where I got the idea from.

I'm not sure if Google will change that - I suspect it may be part of their strategy for the Chrome Store, so they get as many apps listed as possible. At the end of the day, most web apps don't run on Googles infrastructure and have their own back ends, billing systems, etc. I don't think Google can do much about that at this point in time.

Yes, I have an iOS as well as Mac version of my app (both free), which interfaces back to my paid SaaS app.

All the stores are have their own pros/cons in terms of the traffic/signups they will supply.

But I'm moving on to a new app though, this one has run its course  I think.      Like many before me have said, beware of B2C... My next app is going to be music based again, but b2b.
MrShuffles Send private email
Monday, April 28, 2014

When Google's Chrome store first came online I thought it would be downloadable browser based software that could run without a web connection need be. I also thought that was the original idea for iOS apps too. (Similar to HTA's for Internet Explorer)

Sadly I've seen very few apps that actually work that way. Especially if any of them connect to a cloud service. The chrome store installation ends up just being a bookmark to the website. It appears most of the popular apps on it especially the ones by large coporations, Google, Microsoft, Autodesk, are just links to there online web apps. The only good thing about them are they are direct links to the apps themselves.

I actually think the chrome store is just a curated list of bookmarks to web apps. The only things that appear not to be just a bookmarks are the apps that are plugins to Chrome itself. But many of those need online content to work.

Not sure if the stores has this or not but they need to have a badge or something on the apps that state they have an offline mode as well.
TrippinOnIT Send private email
Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Do you get actual sales from the visitors of the chrome app store?
NewGuyOnTheBlock Send private email
Tuesday, April 29, 2014

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics