* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Need  Feedback about my new site www.foreverinourmemories.com

I have decided to go the entrepreneurial route. Launched a new site www.foreverinourmemories.com. It is an online obituary site. Please review the site and provide me feedback.

Anybody who wants to create a memorial can send me an email

foreverinourmemories@gmail.com or on willreply@foreverinourmemories.com and I will provide with an offer code. This offer is free for the readers here..

John121 Send private email
Thursday, April 24, 2014
Seems to have CSS problems.  The tabs don't line up on one line.  The people images seem stretched.  Tried in Chrome and IE 11.
Doug Send private email
Thursday, April 24, 2014
Images are squished, and words seem to be split across lines:

the di
stinct advantage...

deceased ind
ividual would...

Not sure how you managed that, but it is really annoying. Also, the left hand menu is partially covered by the content and there appears to be artefacts where they shouldn't be.

Personal: religion is completely unimportant to me. The person has died. Does it really make a difference what religion they were? More important are the qualities of the deceased as a person.
Ewan McNab Send private email
Thursday, April 24, 2014
Have  you looked at the other sites in this space?  Google "online memorial sites".  What makes your approach different from the ones already out there? 

It would also seem that you have to get this quite pleasant-looking to be attractive to those who would memorialize a loved one, understanably.  It doesn't seem like you are there yet (but you are just starting). 

Some stuff to think about.
Racky Send private email
Thursday, April 24, 2014
Thanks for the feedback.

I knew I could depend on the readers here for getting honest feedback.
Friday, April 25, 2014

Thanks for taking the time to check the site. I had a couple of questions though.

1) Which browser were you using
2) I understand that religion is not important. If you were creating an online memorial what other features would you want
3) Also how was the performance..

Also we are planning for a another release in another 2 weeks..

Friday, April 25, 2014

Thanks for the feedback.
Yes I know that there are a million other online obituary sites which does the same.
We had a couple of unique features which we would incorporate later. We wanted to achieve a little traction before we introduce these features. As you rightly mentioned, we are just starting. It would take some time for us to get refined. Hopefully we will be there. :)

Friday, April 25, 2014
The site looks fair but as others have suggested it needs a lot more work.

-your pricing page seems to be incomplete.

-The php footer seems to show on top (page loading) when navigating.Not a big issue,just  something i have came to notice.
anonagain Send private email
Friday, April 25, 2014
In the US at least, the biggest player in this space appears to be http://www.legacy.com.

Legacy.com is hardwired into virtually every funeral home's bereavement process, and most major newspapers use Legacy.com as the display engine for their obituary sections.

I suppose in other countries there are different dominant players, or perhaps none, but at least in the US I see almost no reason to start something like this. You'd be lacking the deep and broad partnerships that Legacy has in place already.

You definitely need partnerships with publications and with funeral homes if you want this to go anywhere.
Profit and Loss Send private email
Friday, April 25, 2014
There's a conflict between your site's name and the pricing plans: 45 days != "Forever".

Facebook has memorial pages for free, so you might want to tackle that head on. Personally, I would find "not on Facebook" to be a selling point.

On the topic of religion, that would probably be a good market to go after to differentiate your site from the multitude of other memorial sites.
Nicholas Hebb Send private email
Friday, April 25, 2014
@Profit and Loss

I understand this, but that said, I find the UI of legacy.com not great. Not that my site looks any better, but we  will get there.

Partnership is key and I am in the  process of tying up with certain companies at this point in time.

Let me hope for the best and see how it goes.

John JK
Friday, May 02, 2014
@ anonagain

Thanks for your feedback. There is a new version of the site which we are planning to launch in a couple of days.
Friday, May 02, 2014
@Nicholas Hebb

Thanks for the feedback..

Well, the users have the choice to be forever :) We cant force them to have memorials forever. ya I understand your point, but unless I give some variable pricing, I might not be able to get paying customers.
Friday, May 02, 2014

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics