* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

What is your Daily Adwords Budget?

I currently get 1% conversion with very very low unique visitors monthly.Now i spend around $1 per day on ad-words.I can say that i make profit from it,but not too much.

Will it be feasible for me to spend a much larger amount like $20 per day for testing purpose,since i can see all my competitors Ads show all day long after my daily budget is exhausted.

I think i will give it a try? Thoughts?
anonagain Send private email
Wednesday, April 23, 2014
I will just say it's not unusual for a business to spend $100+ per day on AdWords, depending on the size of the business.

If you make a profit on what you spend now, increase it and use the new profits to increase it further!

One word of caution: AdWords price per click or price per conversion is not linear.  As you spend more, you're fighting (bidding) against more and more competitors, so as your budget goes up, you'll find you need to increase your bids to spend that budget.
Doug Send private email
Wednesday, April 23, 2014
I set my Adwords daily budget high enough that I never exceed it (unless I did something stupid, e.g. bid £10 per click instead of £0.10).

If you are exhausting your budget daily you should either:
1. bid less per click (in an attempt to get more clicks for your budget); or
2. increase your daily budget

If your campaign is profitable, I would choose 2.
Andy Brice Send private email
Thursday, April 24, 2014
Thanks for your Responses.

@Doug  I can see my ad get placed at a much better position when i set a high budget.

@Andy Now im going with option #2 since it gives better position.I have set a daily spend limit and set bidding to auto.

I tried changing the bid to a figure little less than the auto bid and opened the ad preview tool,my ad was going down in the position.

But on auto bidding also i spend lesser than my intended budget.Seems the searches are less.
Thursday, April 24, 2014
Increase slowly.

Try $3 per day for 10 days
See if you get 2-3x more sales.

If you do, you can open to 10$ per day, cus at the end of the month its really just $300. Not very expensive.

If you are provitable at $10 daily budget, then you just open up your budget as far as you can.

My daily limit is set to $500.
However, adwords rarely passes $100 per day for me.
Because I have added negative keywords over the years to filter our the crap shoot visitors.

You should use the adwords feature to show exactly what a visitor types in to cause a click, and not what keywoard you had targeted.

Click on  DETAILS > ALL
Select a wide dateranges, or all time.
To see enough data so it shows you what visitors are actually typing that causes a them to click.

Sometimes you may target "blue widget" and adwords things someone typing blue sky is looking for your "blue widget"  If you are not selling the sky :), you have to add "sky" as a negative keyword.

Unless you look at the Details > All feature in the keywords tab in adwords, you wont know what the visitor typed that causes the "blue widget" keyword to get a click.    Linking with google analytics does show the data, but its not 100% accurate compared to seeing it directly inside adwords.
NewGuyOnTheBlock Send private email
Thursday, April 24, 2014
>Click on  DETAILS > ALL

This is explained in a bit more detail in this article I wrote:

See '5. Check your 'Search terms' report for negative keywords'.
Thursday, April 24, 2014

Thanks for the tip,it really helped me to see what people are looking for.

Its a super cool article you have there,lot to learn from that :)

Now im running -search network only ads.Should i go with the display network in a separate campaign?
Thursday, April 24, 2014
Anonagain, be careful with Display Network. Setup a separate campaign for it, but consider that Google will show your ads in mobile devices. You cannot avoid this.

In my case I do not want mobile traffic, but Google does not allow to filter it. I set up a campaign for one of my products and most of the traffic from the Display Network came from mobile devices and the result was a waste of money.

A lot of people make money with the Display Network, but it depends on your product. You have to experiment to know if it is for you.
MSD Soft Send private email
Friday, April 25, 2014
If you are going to run display ads, absolutely do it in a separate campaign. Personally I don't run display ads, I could never make them turn a profit.
Friday, April 25, 2014
@MSD and @Andy

I will create a separate campaign and set a much lower manual bid.Let me see things works out.I don't want mobile traffic at all.

Saturday, April 26, 2014

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics