* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Advice needed for digital art products

I publish the artwork of David Delamare, which ranges from fantasy and children's work to nudes.  He has an international following, nonetheless it's hard to make a living in the business and we are looking for ways to inexpensively produce digital products that could be sold for a small fee or on a subscription basis.

Some of the things we've considered are:
wallpapers, screensavers, electronic greeting card subscriptions

It seems like maybe only the greeting cards might really be profitable, but maybe we're missing something.

We'd particularly love to get into the ecard business.  We have great artwork, but few technical skills (try not to mock our ancient clunky website).  It would be great if we could partner with someone who, say, wanted to animate the art and then we could split the profits.

Here are some typical images that might benefit from subtle animation:

www.daviddelamare.com/titanik.html
www.daviddelamare.com/spring.html
www.daviddelamare.com/bathysphere.html

Does anyone have any advice or suggestions?  (I'm here because I found your discussion of screensavers so helpful.)

Thanks so much!
Wendy Ice Send private email
Wednesday, April 23, 2014

You could try licensing your artwork to one of the big egreeting card companies. But even if you are successful, I can't imagine they would pay much. Also I suspect your artwork might be a bit too niche for the 'mainstream'. Images of kittens are probably a lot more in demand than images of mermaids and fairys, no matter how well done.
Andy Brice Send private email
Wednesday, April 23, 2014

To be brutally frank I see 3 main problems:

1. You're trying to sell art as a commodity.

How much art do I get per pound (lb)? Do I get a discount if I order more than 5 lbs of art?

2. You're trying to do it digitally. Anything that can be digitized can be easily copied and thus become somewhat worthless.

2. You're trying to do it digitally. Anything that can be digitized can be easily copied and thus become somewhat worthless. See?

3. As Andy pointed out, there seems to be fairly narrow range.

So basically you're trying to sell that which doesn't have much value.

So what IS valuable in art?

Typically things which are:

*Unique
*Special or Exclusive
*Custom Made
*Special Materials
*Etc

The downside is you can't do it once and get paid again and again. On the other hand it's easier to sell one special exclusive to one special client than it is to sell 10,000 screensavers to 10,000 different customers, for $1 each.

How much would I pay for a screensaver, any screensaver? Nothing.

How much would I pay for my wife and daughter as fantasy mermaids, in glazed tile for my study bathroom? Well I know what the shipping costs to Borneo would be like, so let's not - but you get the idea, right?

It seems to me that rather than I.T or software types you need to be getting in touch with interior designers, product designers, book cover designers, any designers who might want to, and be able to, push and commission your art.

"And here dahling, I'm thinking earthy colors, stoneware, reds and russet browns, and to celebrate this wall's morning sunshine? I'm thinking a David Delamare mural on tile..."

Now I understand the whole creative freedom thing, I do, I really do. However this page is horrid to me:

http://www.daviddelamare.com/artist.html

It's full of stuff that means little me as a greedy, graspy little buyer of sweat, tears and artwork. When you finally do cut to the chase and talk of custom work it's just a bland "contact us". Tells me nothing, sells me nothing.

The strength of the net is that you can reach a lot of people, that you can find your 'tribe' and they can find you. Digital mermaid pics? Not so much. I did a search and got "About 303,000,000 results". They're cheap, in fact free.

If you really want to sell pictures then sell them as a complete product. Include the frame and insured postage in the price, and show the frame as part of the product image.

Heck, I know someone *cough* who used to sell well-known public domain photos in nice frames on ebay. A certain pic in a certain frame would catch someone's eye and they'd buy it, and happily pay the postage too. It didn't matter that they could print the thing themselves; they were buying a *product*.

I hope this rambling post has helped some?

AC
Reluctantlyregistered Send private email
Monday, April 28, 2014

Try something on envato market place, they sell audio,graphics,video...
Here is the section of it that deals with digital art:
http://graphicriver.net
alexandar Send private email
Saturday, May 03, 2014

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics