* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Guest Blogging

I'm trying to find ways to gain web exposure for the product I'm working on and I was thinking to do some Guest Blogging.
I've never tried that before, however to my eyes it looks very demanding in terms of effort needed but I at the same time quite rewarding.

Did you ever try? Did it prove successful?
Torindo Nesci Send private email
Friday, April 18, 2014
Matt Cutts, the head of Google's webspam team, talks about guest blogging here:

Nicholas Hebb Send private email
Saturday, April 19, 2014
Nicholas has a good point.  However, Cutts has also stated that Google is not attempting to stop legit guest blogging.  Just don't do it simply for SEO .. link building ... spammy purposes.  Keep your intentions focused on building a network and being a part of a community and you'll do fine.

In my experience, links are becoming less and less important.  Google is in the biz of keeping search engine results highly relevant.  If the spammers and SEO experts are focusing on building links (and they are, just Google "blog networks" to see how elaborate they are getting).  Then a great counter for Google would be to reduce the importance of links. 

The biggest bang for my efforts (BY FAR - PM me for examples) have been producing great articles of the product I am selling. 

PS: give consideration to reaching out to podcasts as a superior alternative to guest blogging.  Podcasters are continually digging for people to interview.  Don't hesitate to PM me as I enjoy this subject matter.
Mike Grossman Send private email
Tuesday, April 29, 2014
Links still matter, just not as much as they used to.

Guest posting on a relevant legit blog is a good idea.  Both for generating good direct traffic and for building relevant links as an SEO signal.

Guest posting on a spammy blog not related to your niche is bad idea.

"Spinning" content and posting it on lots of spammy blogs is a *really* bad idea.
Kremental Send private email
Tuesday, May 06, 2014

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics