* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Does remarketing in Adwords work for you?

I'm going to try remarketing in Adwords to show advertisement to users who earlier visited my website but didn't purchase my product yet.

Say 1% of my visitors buy my product (usually within a day). I'd like to convince a part from other 99% to buy my product.

Does this strategy work for single software products?

I didn't find any reports on this subject. Even here or in other software blogs.
Igor Kokarev Send private email
Friday, April 18, 2014
I'm not being funny, but do AdWords even work? I've never clicked on one and I've used Google every day for many, many years.

In a more general sense, does any online advertising work? I run an ad-blocker, so I never get to see most adverts.

Maybe I'm just weird, but to me online advertising sees like a big scam. Of course, IMHO, YMMV, etc.
Scorpio Send private email
Friday, April 18, 2014
Good comment. But it's another story.
Friday, April 18, 2014
AdWords works for us fairly well.  And Re-marketing in AdWords works even better.  I don't remember the conversion rate, but IIRC it's about double what our conversion rate is for AdWords alone.
Doug Send private email
Friday, April 18, 2014
Thank you!
Monday, April 21, 2014
I haven't done this for a small software shop yet, but I have done it extensively for big brands.

Remarketing can work wonderfully well, but with all marketing, there is no silver bullet and it will depend on a lot of factors.

Ideally you don't want to remarket to everyone who visits your site, but rather the people that performed an action but didn't complete.  E.g. an ideal case would be to remarket to people who put something into a shopping cart but didn't complete the purchase.  This eliminates people who really aren't that interested.

If you don't have the traffic levels for shopping cart/purchase process abandonment remarketing you could choose something else.

You should also of course be hitting them up to join your mailing list, as that is basically free high touch remarketing.

As with all marketing initiatives - test everything.  Start small and ramp up.  If you don't see positive results early on, its not likely you'll see positive results with more money.  Just test enough to get statistical significance.

RE: Scorpio - does advertising work at all.

Um, yes....
I have gobs of empirical evidence that tells me it does. :-)
Everything works, some of it works better than others.  The only thing I can think of right now that is a complete waste of time/money is buying fans.
Marketing to facebook custom audiences on the other hand can provide a very healthy return.
Kremental Send private email
Tuesday, May 06, 2014

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics