* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

$ or USD in pricing

Is it good to use 100 USD rather than $100 in the pricing display?
Will there be any issues ?
anonagain Send private email
Thursday, April 17, 2014

Canada also has a dollar.

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko
Gene Wirchenko Send private email
Thursday, April 17, 2014

well many websites just use $100 without any specs in the order button
flow Send private email
Thursday, April 17, 2014

Americans don't know what USD means, so your reasonable options are:

$100
$100 USD

but not

100 USD
Scott Send private email
Thursday, April 17, 2014

I recently lost a small amount of money by agreeing a dollar price with someone who turned out to be Canadian.  Making it clear *which* dollars you're talking about is a good idea.  :-)
Richie Hindle Send private email
Thursday, April 17, 2014

I was about to say I'm using US$ but I checked my website and it's simply $...
Even PayPal doesn't display which $ is it. WOW.
Zka Send private email
Thursday, April 17, 2014

"$100" alone is confusing because many countries have dollars.  Is the user expected to check where your website is geographically located?  Always put the local currency symbol before it to avoid any complaints later.
PSB136 Send private email
Thursday, April 17, 2014

Our e-commerce provider completely takes care of that issue for us. It has a Country field prominently displayed at the top of the order form. It gets pre-selected based on the IP address, so to me the price is displayed as "X USD" (I am in Russia, where it is correct to display the currency after the amount.)

Now, if I manually select United States, it changes to "$X".

If I manually select Canada, it changes to "US$X".

If I manually select Australia or Singapore, which also have dollars, it changes to "USD X".
Dmitry Leskov Send private email
Friday, April 18, 2014

England first formalised many worldwide sports and consequently only the english governing bodies don't need to append a national adjective to their name, Football Association, Rugby Football Union etc.

I am not American but to me $ in the absence of other qualifiers means the USA dollar.

That's the way it is Canadians, Austrialians, deal with it.
Drummer Send private email
Friday, April 18, 2014

I wonder what us Scots are going to use after independence? The SCP aligned with the GBP?  ;-)
Ewan McNab Send private email
Sunday, April 20, 2014

Drummer: "I am not American but to me $ in the absence of other qualifiers means the USA dollar.

That's the way it is Canadians, Austrialians, deal with it."

We are.  I am suggesting that it be made obvious which currency.  Of course, I could go to another Website to purchase, one that did make it obvious.

When I do not know what the costs are for an item, I tend not to purchase.  Getting tricky by not telling me the true cost or any additional costs up-front is liable to get a no-sale.  Neglecting to tell me gets the same reaction.

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko
Gene Wirchenko Send private email
Tuesday, April 22, 2014

"I wonder what us Scots are going to use after independence?"

Is this happening? I sure as hell hope so! Scottish aren't British and don't need to be lorded over by them.
Scott Send private email
Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Scott: "Is this happening?"

The more David Cameron and his cronies at Westminster predict doom and gloom if we do get independence, and even threaten us, the more there is a likelihood of a Yes vote.

I'm a definite Yes voter. The polls are saying the No camp will win, but they are suggesting it is getting very close.
Ewan McNab Send private email
Tuesday, April 22, 2014

I don't think it makes much of a difference.
Although some would suggest A/B testing...
alexandar Send private email
Saturday, May 03, 2014

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics