* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

anyone notice a shift in sales to lower priced software

For the last two months, I've noticed a shift in sales.

Sales of DiffEngineX perpetual licenses (finds differences between 2 Excel spreadsheets, see http://www.florencesoft.com/compare-excel-workbooks-differences.html ) are down. Its cost for business users is $110 USD.

However sales in temporary 3 month licenses (from $25 USD) are up for the same software product.

We have a lower priced software product for Office 2013 / 365 called Selection Diff Tool (see http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/redir/WA103863850 and http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/store/selection-diff-tool-WA103863850.aspx?redir=0 ) and sales it that have gone up a lot in the last two months. It only costs $4.99.

Do you think any of this is connected with a contraction of the economy as a whole? Or is it just a statistical blip?

Sales were very high in January. But poor in February and March.
NewToASPX Send private email
Saturday, April 12, 2014

Actually it is interesting idea to sell temporary licenses. Because it seems for some kind of software there are 2 distinct group of users:
- regular users who use the software daily or weekly
- 1 time users who just need the software for a certain time.

I wonder, how have you find out the price for 3 months licenses and how you deceided that the temporary licenses should be for 3 months?

$45  for 3 months, is not it a little too much for $110 permanent license?

I have sold one temporary license when one of users asked me for a discounted  time limited license.
MatrixFailure Send private email
Sunday, April 13, 2014

I mean is not the price of  3 months license  too high for $110 perpetual license price?
MatrixFailure Send private email
Sunday, April 13, 2014

Different product, different market, different price range. Cheapest edition does not sell, as in "zero new licenses sold in 1Q14".

At the same time, more clients opted for the cheapest support plan compared to last year average.
Dmitry Leskov Send private email
Sunday, April 13, 2014

I think there is no doubt that app stores are lowering expectations for prices. I think that is very unlikely to account for changes in your sales over a period of just 2 months though.
Andy Brice Send private email
Monday, April 14, 2014

My experience is this: sales have gone down significantly since 2007

This  is a fact most software vendors have to deal with every day since the crisis started.

With respect to low prices, I have made a lot of experiments. My flag-ship program, MSD Organizer, is priced $29. I created a Basic edition priced $19 with restricted functionality. Most customers purchased the full edition.

I even went further and made a one-time offer selling MSD Organizer for just $9 during a holiday week. I sold more or less the same amount of licenses I used to sell when the price was $29.

My conclusion is this: you need to offer your visitors something good enough to defeat the "pay for software threshold". Once the customer has decided that your product is useful, pricing is not an issue, as long as it is reasonable.
MSD Soft Send private email
Monday, April 14, 2014

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics