* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Software Name Imitators - Please Help!!

I have a software, it's a desktop software, recently someone used the software name to submit an app to both Apple App Store and Google Play Store.

Many of our existing users and visitors have been asking if we own the app and there are many complain from users of that app, they are asking for refund and support from us for the app we did not create or own, it's terrible to be receiving support and refund request for a product we don't own.

I just discovered that the author of that app came to order our desktop software and I confronted him about using our name and he said he will not remove our name from his app.

I have contacted both Apple and Google, but my request for removal of the app is being ignored.

I don't have a trademark for the name, please what can I do? This is really affecting my business.

Please advice me.

Thank you.
Mike Johnson Send private email
Tuesday, April 08, 2014
file for registered trademark and copyright immediately.
if he has not done so yet, then you can enforce it.
See a  lawyer,  I'm not an attorney :)
NewGuyOnTheBlock Send private email
Tuesday, April 08, 2014
I once read that game coder American McGee puts his name in his products (like "American McGee's Alice") to prevent this very problem without having to register a trademark.  Don't know how true the story is, but it makes sense.
PSB136 Send private email
Tuesday, April 08, 2014
im not a lawyer, but if you own a trademark, as far as I know, you cant stop people outside the US from using your name, but you can stop companies, like hosting, apple, google, ebay, etc.. from showing your trademarked name on their websites.  That alone should be enough to deter them from using your product name.

I dont think it costs much to get it done.  See a lawyer.
NewGuyOnTheBlock Send private email
Wednesday, April 09, 2014

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics