* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

YouTube virus of my app

Don't know if this means that my app is "good", but today I got a Google Alert for its name and it's a YouTube video titled "How to install X". The video is just static screenshots of it, with a link in the description. Clicking the link leads to an exe download that is larger than my app's Setup.exe.  I've flagged the video as malicious.

Not sure what to think right now.  The user's channel has lots of other apps for downloading too, so he's making a habit of it.
PSB136 Send private email
Monday, March 31, 2014

You could download it and install it in locked down VM and see what's going on with it.  I don't suppose you can share the youtube link can you?
Andrew Gibson Send private email
Monday, March 31, 2014

Download and NOT install if you don't know how to handle malware. Try to upload to virustotal.com and see the reports. Repeat the test after few hours.
Ask someone that knows what to do to handle it.

Read the comments for other videos and google for the author: you will discover if he is just a repacker
fp615 Send private email
Monday, March 31, 2014

After Reading your post, I discovered that my software is also being offered as "full for free" in YouTube (not in the video, but in the post URL).

I've just reported it to YouTube and I think nothing more can be done.
Néstor Sánchez A. Send private email
Monday, March 31, 2014

Nestor

If you don't have any luck, you could try issuing a DCMA takedown notice to YouTube.
Andy Brice Send private email
Tuesday, April 01, 2014

I have had affiliates posting non-existent discount vouchers in youtube videos (so they can stuff an affiliate cookie into the searchers browser and get comission). I ban these affiliates if I catch them.
Andy Brice Send private email
Tuesday, April 01, 2014

My app has just appeared on youtube too.  It's a pretty old version though.

I imagine someone has scraped a download site and autogenerated the video and link. Don't think it's a personal vendetta.
DanDan Send private email
Tuesday, April 01, 2014

Just last week I noticed a YouTube video pushing a pirated copy of a really (really) old version of my software. I've been so busy that I hadn't done anything about it yet. I just checked again and there's been 2 more posted within the last 24 hours. I'm tempted to use it as free advertising and post a discount coupon in the comments.
Nicholas Hebb Send private email
Tuesday, April 01, 2014

These versions that are on youtube are cracked and/or contain malware?
fp615 Send private email
Tuesday, April 01, 2014

Andy: Thanks for the idea.

In fact YouTube gives the option to report copyright infringement, but I think that's related to the video (which was not created by me). The trick is the URL pointing to a suspicious installer. So I reported it as a deceit.

Fortunately the user was banned and the video removed.
Néstor Sánchez A. Send private email
Tuesday, April 01, 2014

>> In fact YouTube gives the option to
>> report copyright infringement

Yes. I did that once filling a lengthy form on YouTube. The video & user were removed.

After which every week I see more than 50 new videos for my product from different users all pointing to a pirated version of my app.

I gave up reporting to YouTube as the form to report DMCA is quite long.
Gautam Jain Send private email
Thursday, April 03, 2014

> very week I see more than 50 new videos for my product from different users all pointing to a pirated version of my app.

Simply put:  YUCK!  This thread really turns my stomach.  Sorry for all of you. I try to forget how lame the world can be, but....

Given that the DMCA notice is a lengthy one to fill in for YouTube but it *works*, I wonder is there any way to auto-fill the form and just keep swatting these fleas away?
Racky Send private email
Thursday, April 03, 2014

Good to see that YouTube has removed the video and link to the full version of my app:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKfIP6HOY8

:)
PSB136 Send private email
Tuesday, April 15, 2014

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics