* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Free license for MVP members?

Hello,

In the recent days I was asked if I give out free NFR licenses to MVP members. I noticed that a lot of software companies are giving free licenses to MVP members.

1) Is this a good idea in general?
2) Are those companies associated/compensated by Microsoft for giving out licenses to MVP members?

Thank you for your answers.
Attila Kovrig Send private email
Thursday, March 27, 2014

AFAIK this is a marketing scheme, whereby you give the licenses to "thought leaders", in the hope that they will like what you gave and use their implied influence to generate more sales for you.

It is similar to giving stuff to bloggers back in the day, in the hope that they'd write about it and you'd get sales.
Scorpio Send private email
Friday, March 28, 2014

I was an MVP for 4 years and I took advantage of these NFR licenses from companies.
The companies don't get a fee or any other discount from Microsoft. Microsoft has nothing to do with this.

It's something the companies themselves give in the hope that the MVP's then use/recommend/write about it/... basically use them for marketing.

Personally I think it's a good idea; the MVP's are people that have lots of indepth knowledge about their award-topic and  lots of them are technically very skilled.

From products that I got the licenses I used them and also recommended them if I liked them.
I also got the impression from fellow MVP's that they didn't abuse this and just mail companies to get thousands of dollars of software for free. A lot of MVP's actually use them and thus provide marketing to your company.

That's just my opinion/view as an ex-MVP. ;-)
Jeroen V Send private email
Monday, March 31, 2014

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics