* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Young ISV,Life Advice :)

Im an ISV.This post may sound like asking advice about my life.But im in need of that now.

Here is a bit of my background

From my childhood i was keenly interested in gaming,software and stuff.I really wanted to make my own product that people use to solve their daily problems.Building a software firm that makes products appreciated by people all over the world is my dream.

Here is my situation.Im 22 Now.I have completed my B-tech in Computer Science(But failed in some
exams,need to reappear).
During my College days i was interested in real world software products that solves problems than gulping the thoery .
I dont mean some complex software that require real brains,Just products that makes people's life simpler.Don't take me as a super geek or something with revolutionary ideas.

I was keenly interested in developing stuff like that.I pursed my interest and now i have a successful
commercial product(by success i dont mean making huge dollars,i get money to meet my necessary
requirements).Even though the paying customer base is not huge(or even large),the software is being used by people
whole over the globe.

Im from India,and im proud to make a software product,that has global use and within my country :)

Im 22 now,im sitting home having nothing to do. Im kind of in a confused situation now.

There are a number of opportunities around me like,starting up a software firm within some incubator.
You just need a good idea,skilled people to work with.I have ideas or can think of something.
But the problem is i have not came across a skilled and motivated people interested in pursuing the common interest.

Now im in the process of studying for my Btech failed exams to reappear for the same.
But this is tiring,boring.I have been wasting a lot of time like this.

My question is what should i do,should i focus  on gaining the degree now or a firm.
But the problem is that i don't know how a firm is managed,how it is financed and Human resources and stuff like that
all of these things keeps me worried or may be i should go with a Job first after completing B-tech and later think about the company after gaining some experience.

So please advice
anonman Send private email
Monday, March 24, 2014

I think that you can learn a lot from this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Eric-Business-Software-Experts-Voice/dp/1590596234
(Eric Sink - The Business of Software)
Atanas Krachev Send private email
Monday, March 24, 2014

Running a business, as in hiring/firing people, keeping books in order and so on, is boring 80% of the time. Maintaining your app, as in providing support, fixing bugs in old versions, talking to angry customers, etc., is boring and/or irritating 80% of the time.

There may be exceptions, but in general, 80% of the time you just do your job, because you will be out of business if you don't.

The good part of it is that you truly enjoy the 20%.

It may not matter much whether you get a degree if you pursue the ISV option, but you will be better off if you know the basics of the profession. Otherwise, how would you e.g. recognize incompetent candidates when hiring?
Dmitry Leskov Send private email
Monday, March 24, 2014

+Dmitry

My recommendation is to get a programming job at as small a company as you can.  The reason is you'll be able to see the boss, marketing people, sales, HR, etc.  You'll see what they do, how they handle situations, etc.

And honestly, you won't see a good example at most places, so you'll need to have a few jobs to have enough experience to pick up good habits and procedures.

Or start reading a lot about business.  Here in the US, I really like the magazine Inc.

And I'll let you in on a secret, running a business is actually more fun than coding (I'm a coder, and would never have believed it).  It's like a real-time strategy game, except the rules are less defined.

Use your existing product as a test case.  Try marketing it more and start to figure out what works and what doesn't.  Do some A/B testing on your site and learn how that works.  Learn how to use AdWords profitably.  Figure out what to do to your product to continually reduce the support burden.  All of this will be important later.

You're in a really great position to learn and be massively successful 10 years from now.
Doug Send private email
Tuesday, March 25, 2014

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics