* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Do people actually pay high for one feature?

Just saw an app on MajorGeeks that does nothing but set the transparency of a window from 0 to 100%.  The price is $19.95!  Do people pay for stuff like this?  I feel like I'm pricing my app too low when I see stuff like that (my app is totally unrelated).

I mean, come on, $20 for a window transparency tool?  I'd be too embarrassed to charge even $5 for a tool like that.  Or for $20, I'd at least add a few other functions to go with it.
PSB136 Send private email
Saturday, March 22, 2014
There are a few things you should know:

- Pricing "relative" to other apps based on how hard you think it is to program is a very bad idea. Price instead based on the amount of time & money you save your customers. And even then other considerations come in to play (competitor's pricing, alternative solutions, etc.).

- Just because an app is priced something doesn't mean it's getting any sales.

- Features for the sake of features don't matter. The solution as a whole is all that matters. Namely, the solution to the customer's problems.
Wyatt O'Day Send private email
Saturday, March 22, 2014
I'm with Wyatt on this one (for once :-). Lots of tools, including the infamous Notepad++ use transparency on some of their 'dialogs' to allow the background results to shine through.

I've also seen the same thing done on very high-end energy sector apps. Nine times out of ten it's an optional feature and is there because (some) people appreciate it.

On a desktop scale, I'm also pretty sure some people appreciate it. Not for you? Don't buy it.

It is very easy to do technology-wise, but don't forget the fact, depending on the industry, that the vast majority of end users are not geeks and either don't have the time to implement this or don't have the inclination.

Life is too short....
Ewan McNab Send private email
Sunday, March 23, 2014
I think there is an effective lower price limit for PC software - which probably isn't far from that $20 mark. Much lower than that and you just can't make any money at all - merchant fees (usually a lower limit of a dollar or two), advertising (tough enough even for a $20 product), website etc. Maybe if you already ran a well-oiled machine with low overheads and other products to bring in the traffic, but you'd still be making cents probably on a $5 sale.

I do think that in general you have a point though - our product for example is in very early three figures $ but has a lot of features and took a lot of work. I often see products for $50-$100 that look as if they would have been 1/10 or less of the work of ours. Unfortunately (or fortunately) there is no direct correlation between value and complexity but it does make me think that I will look for a much lower work/sale price ratio for my next product (and actually spend a bit of time thinking about this beforehand).
Anon123 Send private email
Sunday, March 23, 2014
I'm in agreement with Ewan that Wyatt's post is full of sensible observations.
Scott Send private email
Sunday, March 23, 2014
Price is irrelevant to complexity.

Microsoft Windows 8.1 retails at around $150USD.

Comparing my software product to Windows in terms of technical complexity, functionality and skill required would be embarrassing. I am not fit to write the code that moves the mouse pointer.

( An aside : Do you reckon the guy who wrote the code to move the windows mouse pointer wrote the most used bit of code ever?  Or is that the guy who wrote the code to bring up task manager when pressing Control-Alt-Del? )

My product goes for $900.  Regrettably not in the same volumes as Windows 8.1.

I have a competitor who tries to sell a similar product as mine for $90.  God bless him.  Clearly doesn't understand pricing.  Think he's given up now - don't blame him.

Pricing is marketing and sends a strong signal about quality, professionalism and functionality.  Mind you.  Ya gotta look the part.
TomTomAgain Send private email
Friday, April 11, 2014

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics