* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Free license: how to prove identity?

In another thread, someone mentioned I should give out some free licenses to get my app known.  Fair enough, but how I do know who I gave the license to?  The license is linked to their real name and email address, so with a sale, you know the name of your customer, their address, and other particulars.

But if I give a free license to someone without a sale, how do I get their info?  Because if I don't have it, they might have no problem sharing that license around because they're anonymous.  One leaked free license will kill all sales very quickly.
PSB136 Send private email
Friday, March 21, 2014

We ask them for their website, and then take the name from the website.  For example, we would give a free version to someone with an active blog.  Sure, someone _could_ setup an active blog just to spoof us, but I doubt they would go to so much effort.

Or we might give a free license to an organization.  In that case we check their email domain and their website and take the organization domain from there.

Finally, the free version could have limitations if you wanted.

THIS is why people say coding is only 20% of building a business.  You have to also build business logic, marketing, etc (which is what you are working through now).
Doug Send private email
Friday, March 21, 2014

Physically mail it to them. This way they have to provide an address. Include swag and/or a printed questionnaire to send back.
Scott Send private email
Friday, March 21, 2014

If you have your licensing tied to you payment system and the ability to do coupons or discounts, give them a discount or coupon code that will only work once. That way they still have to go through the purchase process but they get a free license.
TrippinOnIT Send private email
Friday, March 21, 2014

> But if I give a free license to someone without a sale, how do I get their info?

Ask them for it?
Racky Send private email
Friday, March 21, 2014

> One leaked free license will kill all sales very quickly.

No, it won't.

Yet again you try to prevent a scenario that is only a problem in your own mind, not in real world.
Krzysztof Kowalczyk Send private email
Friday, March 21, 2014

I've given out a number of free licenses over the years and generally people are incredibly grateful.  It certainly hasn't lead to any decrease in sales or widespread sharing of license codes.
Mark Nemtsas Send private email
Friday, March 21, 2014

Why not put a web form in place as a required step for a download. Download link would be sent to their e-mail, after they submitted their name and email address (this way you will know the data is valid).
Valeriu Braghis Send private email
Saturday, March 22, 2014

You are overthinking it again. You need to get v1.0 into the hands of as many people as possible. Feedback is way more valuable for you than money at this point. If you desperately need money, get a job or a consulting gig, but don't try to maximize profit from your product just yet.
Dmitry Leskov @Home Send private email
Sunday, March 23, 2014

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics