* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

simple CRM tool recommendation

This is one of those "I think I need a better tool but I'm not really sure what I need" type of situations.

I've been doing independent consulting for years as a side gig, and a few months ago switched to full time.  In the past I was able to manage projects/clients via e-mail, but this is getting to be unwieldy.

I need a better tool to do this.  I think this is probably what a CRM is designed for, but I suspect I don't need or want a lot of the stuff that a full blown CRM does.

Basically, what I need is a way to keep track of contacts (clients, potential clients) and make notes.  Potentially there are other useful things a CRM would do for me that I'm not aware of.

Any suggestions or recommendations for a simple CRM system?  Free is good, but I'd be willing to pay a little for something useful.

I've looked at a number of results from a Google search for "simple CRM" and several look good (and have free/cheap entry level plans) but since I don't really know what I need it's difficult to judge the pros/cons.
Jason Send private email
Monday, March 17, 2014
I've used HighRise without any issues for a while.  It does the basics well enough and I get by with the free edition.

It's not perfect but the limitations have yet to bother me enough to switch or even build my own.
Chris Williams Send private email
Monday, March 17, 2014
I use Chaotic Intellect, an email client that has some task/project and client management stuff built in.

Basically you can create a project and link contacts to that project. It's all pretty simple stuff but makes it much easier to keep track of things.

The only thing I don't like is that it can bog down if dealing with emails with dozens of previous replies quoted. And of course there's none of that trendy Web 2,0 "collaboration" stuff. It resides on your own PC.

Note that I only have around 1 to 3 clients a month. If you're also doing consultancy work it should be fine.

Reluctantlyregistered Send private email
Monday, March 17, 2014
Personally, I use Insightly and really like it.  You'll probably find the free version meets all your needs if it's just you, but they have very reasonable paid plans also.  I found it was easy to get up speed with.

Joanna Lees Castro Send private email
Monday, March 17, 2014
We use Capsule CRM.  Simple yet powerful.  www.capsulecrm.com.
James Crossley Send private email
Wednesday, March 19, 2014
there are many. Try Zoho. Personally its amazing
ashish tulsani Send private email
Friday, March 21, 2014
+1 ashish tulsani
I haven't used the CRM yet, but I started using their email service couple of days ago for a new domain and so far I really like it. I even started thinking to move my other domains with them.
ThistimeAnon Send private email
Friday, March 21, 2014

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics