* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Google AdWords - Search Network with Display Select

A cautionary tale:

So I "upgraded" one of my AdWords campaigns from "Search and Display Networks" to "Search Network with Display Select" in order to take advantage of the suggested automated improvements it would make.

I noticed the warning saying that it couldn't be changed back later, but being in a rush, I continued through it, figuring that the sooner I started getting these improved results, the better.

I noticed the next day that my conversion rate had fallen by more than half, and the cost per conversion had tripled. Just part of the machine learning process I figured...10 days later and it was no better.

Maybe my campaign could be changed to work with this new campaign type, but my campaigns were working well before, and I thought this would give a little enhancement. I wasn't looking for a complete re-do.

Anyway, although you can't change back to "Search and Display Networks", you can change it to Search only. That's what I did, and the conversion rate and cost per conversion is back up where it should be.

As you all probably already know - if you would like to test out the "upgrade", create a new campaign to test on and monitor it carefully. Then consider importing the settings from your old campaign and pausing the old campaign for further testing so it can be re-activated later if needed.
Trevor McCoy Send private email
Tuesday, March 11, 2014

+Trevor

I recommend never mixing Search and Display campaigns -- always keep them separate.  That way you can control daily spend on each, and force the Display campaign to use MUCH lower CPC values (because a click when someone is searching for a solution is worth MUCH more than a click when someone is casually browsing and your ad happens to catch their eye).
Doug Send private email
Tuesday, March 11, 2014

I agree with Doug. Search and Display campaigns work totally differently. They should never be mixed in the same campaign.
Andy Brice Send private email
Tuesday, March 11, 2014

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics