* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Anyone looking at Docker for (future) distribution

It's still not fully baked but it could be very interesting for delivering server applications.

There's a docker conference going on. Here's a publicity listing of things happening this week.
http://us2.campaign-archive1.com/?u=13681e0f8a4ac09ce229a9b48&id=f3835754cb

Basically what it tries to do is take advantage of recent Linux kernel enhancements that allow for separating processes into more robust containers. Applications are distributed as containers that are plugged into a server. It's a step away from virtualization. There is only one copy of the OS on the hardware. They use the word container to bring to mind a modern container freighter.

It looks interesting to me. I have a Saas application coming on line this spring. I'm thinking that a Docker container could provide a way to package that for on premises sales.

Any thoughts?
Oh to be anon again! Send private email
Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Does it work on Windows?
Ducknald Don Send private email
Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Short answer: no. It's dependent on the Linux kernel.

Longer answer: You can experiment with it on windows if you first load Linux in a VM and then Docker in the VM. That's just for playing with it though. It introduces a redundant OS layer without any benefit so not an ideal setup for production..
Oh to be anon again! Send private email
Wednesday, March 12, 2014

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics