* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

National domain vs .com alternative

I am planning on making a new version of one of my existing products,  but I plan to test the waters with a broader audience (current version is only for a closed niche).

So my plan is to make first a "wiped out" version (only the basic features that appeal to the broad audience) and set that on a new domain. Now, I was researching some keywords and I found some good ones, that could fit in a domain name, but the .com is (and the alternatives) taken by some domain resellers (these are English words that are not trademarked I believe).

Is it better SEO wise to use the exact domain name as in the keywords phrase, but with a national tld (for example: keywordphrase.in) or would the .com domain always outweigh the national tld, even when not having the exact keywords phrase? The TLD in the example is just example, I am talking about any national TLD.
ThistimeAnon Send private email
Thursday, March 06, 2014

.com is the world's default domain. We say - look at bing, rather than bing.com. If your customers are mainly from India, then .in (it is by default in India. Correctly?) is a good choice.
Alex Vasilevsky Send private email
Thursday, March 06, 2014

If you want to focus your marketing just toward that one country a national domain is probably the right choice.  If you want to focus on the whole world, go with .com

A national domain has two huge advantages for marketing.  It will  rank a little higher on the search engines for searches in that country.  This advantage will be exaggerated even more if you are hosted in the country and the language matches too.  But this advantage is offset by the fact that you will get a lower ranking everywhere else in the world that is not that country.
C. Stark Send private email
Thursday, March 06, 2014

>It will  rank a little higher on the search engines for searches in that country.

Really? Where I can read about it?
Friday, March 07, 2014

No, I am not targeting customers from that country. It is just I could get it (as I live there) and the keyword phrase would match exactly the domain name. For example, Google Adwords Keyword tool reports ~2500 monthly searches for "downloadable thermometer" and I could get the domain downloadablethermometer.in while all (most) variations of .com are taken (but the domains are just place holders, no real product behind).

But, I guess it's worth nothing when targeting the global market.
Friday, March 07, 2014

The whole exact-match domain thing is now meaningless anyway, so don't sweat it.

Disclaimer - I was daft enough to buy the .com of my sales-copywriter,net the other day, if only because I was sick and tired of the spammers trying to sell it to me.

It's so unimportant that I haven't bothered doing anything with it yet. I'll just point it at my .net site, as it's always better to have the .com if you can. Otherwise you can find that you lose all your traffic to a .com about penis pumps... 

Yes, that happened to me :o)

If you can't get downloadablethermometers.com then create your own distinct brand such as quiktherm.com Heck, I think you should do that even if you CAN the exact match domain,

I never mention anything but my copywriting sites on here but I have 3 or 4 ebooks using exact matches for likely search terms, and they sold like hot cakes. Today it's hard to find those site via Google, as the Goog seems to consider an exact match a red flag.

This has led to the ridiculous situation that if someone is looking for something such as "pressing widgets", you now find that pressingwidgets.com isn't even in the top 30 search results, whereas before I held the #1  or 2 position for all of my ebooks.

So basically if it's not the .com don't bother, and don't bother about search terms anyway. Build a brand and rely as little on Google as you possibly can, as Google is more like quicksand than a foundation.

AC
Reluctantlyregistered Send private email
Friday, March 07, 2014

Sorry for that rambling reply; I was writing something else at the same time :o)

Quick summary - get a name people will remember, rather than a search term, and only bother with a .com

AC
Reluctantlyregistered Send private email
Friday, March 07, 2014

Thanks for the feedback.

Yeah, I made my mind already, I decided for something as AC said, for example instead of downloadablethermometer.in I settled with redthermometer.com.
Friday, March 07, 2014

@alex

http://searchenginewatch.com/article/2063982/SEO-on-a-Global-Scale-Ranking-Internationally

That article covers the basic principles of ranking in a specific country.
C. Stark Send private email
Saturday, March 08, 2014

@C. Stark Thank you!
Sunday, March 09, 2014

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics