* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

free online technical support

Hello,

I was recently contacted by a company, that offers interesting service. They offer free technical support via phone and remote connection for my applications, in order to up-sell their general computer maintenance for my clients.

I am not using chat or phone support at the moment. And I doubt that it would be a good idea to use them with such company, but am posting here for your toughs.

My main concerns would be that the support can be very low quality (but maybe it is fine for a 1st level support?).  Also I have been contacted via unsolicited email, so this does not put any trust on this company (they also are not hiding the fact that support workers are Indians, although company itself claims to be in Australia).
Jim Morrison Send private email
Tuesday, March 04, 2014

Seems like a really bad idea, for a lot of reasons IMHO, although YMMV.
Scorpio Send private email
Tuesday, March 04, 2014

+Scorpio.  Can you actually confirm they are already supporting your product like they claim? 

Support requests, though a pain, have given me incredible insight into my niche and features people want.
Doug Send private email
Tuesday, March 04, 2014

Fires all my red flag detectors. Danger, danger.

What I assume happens is they are "supporting" 1000 other apps as well and their operators don't know anything about any apps other than generic advice. Then they do the high pressure sales, get a credit card, and it's a deal where the customer can't unsubscribe and costs more than they thought - and they blame me since I introduced them.

Very common scam for a con artist to get introduce by a trusted party.
Scott Send private email
Tuesday, March 04, 2014

Their goals are completely misaligned with yours. Run away. Fast.
Andy Brice Send private email
Tuesday, March 04, 2014

Interestingly, one in their list of clients is www.pchelper.com, which redirects to www.copilot.com.
Jim Morrison Send private email
Wednesday, March 05, 2014

I don't believe for a second that FogCreek would use this service.
Andy Brice Send private email

"I was recently contacted by a company" -- That's the bit that means to run away.  Avoid all unsolicited contact, always.
PSB136 Send private email

> Avoid all unsolicited contact, always.

Nahh, and you don't even mean that, anyway.  If Yahoo approached you to acquire your software, you wouldn't avoid it.  It's a very dynamic world, and being "out there" occasionally invites strangers contacting you and sometimes it can be fruitful,

(But yes, in *this* case, I agree it sounds awful)
Racky Send private email

I obviously meant avoid in the context of an unknown company.  Of course if Yahoo approached me, I'd sell out.  :)
PSB136 Send private email
Thursday, March 06, 2014

"free online technical support" does sound like a complete scam. Besides, are you sure you need to provide phone/live chat support? "Live" doesn't make it better. What do I care if someone picks up the phone just to ask me if I'm "havening problem after the restart the computer"? I can imagine what the quality of their "support" would be, if they can do this for any company and any kind of software. If your software isn't solving a time-sensitive problem, you'd better focus on the quality of the support you provide, not the speed. IMHO.
SansMagic Send private email
Wednesday, March 19, 2014

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics