* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Getting customer/user feedback

Hi!

After getting valuable input by reading a lot of postings from this group for some years, I'm now also in the situation to start a thread here.

I guess many of us are looking for feedback from real world users and we know how hard it can be. I have an online form which is opened in the browser on doing an uninstall but I think people are no longer in the mood to fill a form about a tool after they decided to remove it from their PC... I also have a link to a user survey nobody is interested in.

So I thought I'm now going to send a one time follow-up mail to people who purchased the software some weeks after the purchase. But I'm not a native english speaker and I also wanted to hear your opinions about the idea and the wording I have so far:

"I’m writing you because you recently purchased XYTool. Thank you very much and I hope you are still satisfied with the tool! Please note that this mail is just a one time follow-up after your purchase of XYTool and you are not getting mails from us periodically.

The best way to improve a piece of software is to get feedback from real users. This is the reason why I’m asking you if you want to take the opportunity to tell me about your first experiences you made so far using XYTool. Feel free to write anything that comes to your mind. Great features, missing functionalities or annoying bugs, any input is valuable and much appreciated. Take your chance to influence the next release of XYTool.

I’m looking forward hearing from you!"

XYTool is not the real name... Feel free to take the text if you want to do a similar thing. I have no problems with it. And let me know what you think :)

Regards
Clemens
xmlbuddy Send private email
Friday, February 14, 2014

offer a 50% discount upon uninstall to those who submit a feedback.

You'll get more user feedback.
and probably make a few extra sales.
NewGuyOnTheBlock Send private email

@NewGuy,

That sounds like a good way to upset full price paying customers if they uninstall the app on one machine in order to install it on another.

OP: I thought your text read well. I would probably respond positively to this if I was on the receiving end of such an email.
Andrew Gibson Send private email

"Please note that this mail is just a one time follow-up after your purchase of XYTool and you are not getting mails from us periodically."

I'd change this slightly to:

"Please note that this email is just a one time follow-up after your purchase of XYTool, and  you won't be getting further emails from us."

The rest looks good!  I wish I had your facility in English in, e.g., whatever your native language is.
Racky Send private email

Hmm, missed one other minor one:

"to tell me about your first experiences you made so far using XYTool. "

better:

"to tell us about your first impressions of XYTool."
Racky Send private email

When the user quits my application for the first time, i popup a window that says something like, "give feedback anonymously?" with 2 buttons: "give feedback" which opens a feedback form from my website in their browser; and the "Not now, thanks" button. There's also a note that they can always send feedback from the Help -> Feedback menu.  Also at the bottom of that popup, there is a link to my user's guide and support email.

I've gotten lots of feedback from that system (several per week). I also get lots of spontaneous feedback because I have my support email posted everywhere (in the Help menu, on the website, etc).

I think trying to get feedback from people uninstalling is not going to get you any information. Don't bother giving a discount. Just hit them up for feedback when it's fresh in their mind (not when they're so upset with it that they are uninstalling).
M.B. Dude Send private email

Thanks to all for the great answers so far!

@NewGuyOnTheBlock
Like others I'm also not convinced about the idea to offer a discount at the uninstall page. Instead I already offer a free license there if someone reports a serious bug. No one did up to now...

@Andrew
Thank you. In addition it came to my mind that I'm going to send this to people where some of them are also not English native speakers :)

@Racky
I will definitely replace "experiences" with "impressions" as you suggested. But I guess I will leave the sentence about following mails as it is now. Somehow I feel to write "that you won't get any mails from us" sounds negative.

I was working for more than 10 years in a company where we had to do all written conversation in English and a lot of people there had different first languages. German is my first language.

@Dude
Funny, a dialog on closing the application is exactly what I did also for the next release :) Good idea to put some links there like you...
Saturday, February 15, 2014

The dialog on closing could be a good idea, but whatever you do don't make your app hang there waiting - put a short time out on it or something. Applications that don't close completely and quickly when asked to do so drive me up the wall (eg when  Windows is shutting down, or I am just trying to close a lot of apps with right-clicks in the taskbar). In particular apps that have no state that needs to be saved but still insist on showing a "are you sure you want to exit" window - its an absolute pet hate of mine!
Anon123 Send private email

Just as a slight OT follow-up rant to my last post - I simply don't get why a stateless application (one particular culprit is a CDN browser app) would need to ask me if I'm sure after I just clicked close. Of course, I might have done it by mistake, but I'd much rather have to reopen the program after the 1 in 50 times I shut it accidentally then confirm my action with another click the other 49 times.
Anon123 Send private email

IMHO, you need to keep make the email much shorter.  You might get 5 seconds -- they need to have read far enough to decide whether to help you or not.  Don't spend so much time explaining -- they'll get it.

My suggestion:

"Thank you for purchasing XYTool -- we appreciate your business.

We are working to improve XYTool and would appreciate your feedback.  Are there features we could improve, missing functionality, or any annoying problems?

Your input is appreciated, and each response will be read.

We're looking forward to hearing from you!"
Doug Send private email
Monday, February 17, 2014

+1 Doug.  Great point.  I have to constantly re-learn, sadly, that most humans now have the attention span of a gnat.
Racky Send private email

:-) "most humans now have the attention span of a gnat"

And.. if they're not hunched over their 'phones texting their mate who's sitting opposite, they're playing silly games.

Just had a thought. Probably wouldn't work B2B, but how about texting the user on first shutdown of the app? A bit more modern...
Ewan McNab Send private email

"how about texting the user on first shutdown of the app" -- How annoying... that's getting into stalker territory, too.
PSB136 Send private email

Racky: "+1 Doug.  Great point.  I have to constantly re-learn, sadly, that most humans now have the attention span of a gnat."

Yes on short attention spans, but sometimes, it is because people have other things that they are busy on.  When I have selected an action, I typically have a queue of actions following.

I am not just, say, exiting your program; I may now want to start another program to read the data file just generated and do something with it, etc.

A "simple prompt for data" gets in the way and is liable to be dismissed as fast as I can.

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko
Gene Wirchenko Send private email
Tuesday, February 18, 2014

All feedback is incredibly valuable.

I put a large feedback button in the top right of our applications.  And in all of our product tutorial videos, I always close off by encouraging users to use the feedback form for anything.  Any questions, suggestions, anything.  I am very clear that we want to hear from them, and that we will respond to them.  I get the most feedback out of this button.

Your uninstall survey will always be your most negative feedback.  But it is great to know why people think it sucked.  I get about 5 percent of my uninstalls to fill out a poll based survey.  and maybe about 1% to actually send a comment.

In the poll based part of the uninstall survey.  I ask them what they wanted to see in the software that would have made them keep it.  And these answers will be all of the things I am thinking about developing next.  This really helps decide what features to add.

The comments usually are not that useful, but some are great.  Sometimes they report bugs, and sometimes it will be a customer that needs help.

The e-mail you want to send may or may not work.  I don't think it will.  I certainly wouldn't answer it, and would find it annoying.

Prompting for feedback on closing the app is an interesting suggestion.  I am sure this would be effective at getting feedback.  And all feedback is valuable.  Personally, I wouldn't do it, or if I did run this it would only be for a limited time.  I am scared that it may annoy people that are still on the fence and thinking about buying a little later.
C. Stark Send private email

@Gene @C.Stark
The prompt for feedback would also be just on the very first time the user closes the application. Anything else would be too annoying as you say. But I think this is no problem for people who consider buying the tool.

@C.Stark
Good point about the feedback button on the right hand corner of the application. I have a link to the survey page in the Help menu, but an always visible button is much better.

To share some experiences if someone finds this thread somedays... The feedback button directly in the application works. At least it works definitely better than any other online approach (feedback/survey form) I tried so far.
Monday, March 10, 2014

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics