* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Anyone deployed an asp.net site to Azure? Do you recommend it?

Hi Guys,

I'm reading mixed reviews about Azure and its uptime.
A cloud platform should have 100% uptime to my understanding.

But they seem to be having outages every so often.

Do any of you use Azure as a hosting platform?
I need to host a site, but mainly a database intensive application.
NewGuyOnTheBlock Send private email
Saturday, February 08, 2014
Microrosft's Azure cloud and Amazon's AWS cloud achieve similar uptime from an infrastructure perspective - beyond that it's basically up to how you have architected your application.  I think you're being a bit optimistic looking for 100% uptime.

Consider also that whilst Amazon's AWS offers virtual servers, you must run these yourself.  Micrososft's Azure offers virtual servers it also offers a Platform As A Service (PAAS) which may be more suited to you needs - it handles operating system updates, load balancing, auto-scaling and much more.

I've been hosting sites on Azure for over a year and had no significant issues and, thanks to using their PAAS offering, never had to worry about server admin.
Simon Fletcher Send private email
Saturday, February 08, 2014
There is the problem. They recently announced maintenance work almost every 2 months for 8 hours each. Fortunately my servers were unavailable for tens of minutes instead of hours.
P.S. Who uses Amazon? Please share your experience with AWS.
Alex Vasilevsky Send private email
Sunday, February 09, 2014
Krzysztof Kowalczyk Send private email
Sunday, February 09, 2014
I would like you to share personal experiences with AWS ;)
Monday, February 10, 2014
I am using Azure for last 1 year. No issues.

The issue which I had was more-or-less related to the way I had designed the app which is now fixed.
Gautam Jain Send private email
How do you solve a problem with the availability of your servers during Maintenance in Azure?

REMINDER: Windows Azure Virtual Machines Scheduled Maintenance

The following are the planned start times, provided in both Universal Time Coordinated (UTC) and United States Pacific Standard Time (PST). We expect the update to finish within six to eight hours of the start time.

There are plenty of places on the internet to discuss web hosting in general or aws in particular.

This is not one of them.
Krzysztof Kowalczyk Send private email
Thank you very much!  Do you use AWS personally?
Regarding sites deployed in the cloud here's a good write up regarding availability due to maintenance. http://www.troyhunt.com/2014/02/the-cloud-never-goes-down-azure-slas.html

The article makes some good points about looking at all the availability for multiple points in a system to calculate what your actual availability will be.  And noting what the cloud service does for credits or discounts should they be down for longer then stated in a given time period.

One comment makes a good point for those looking to use cloud based services for there business. http://www.troyhunt.com/2014/02/the-cloud-never-goes-down-azure-slas.html#comment-1239392120
Choosing to use any cloud service means having to deal with down time and the risk of it being longer than desired. You may have a lot less downtime if you completely control all the equipment but you have the much greater complexity and cost of managing that equipment yourself. It's all a trade off. How much time do you want to devote to managing equipment versus building the business.
TrippinOnIT Send private email
Wednesday, February 12, 2014

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics