* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Offline text editor for Android

Anyone know of a text editor or even just a sticky notes app for android tablets that allows editing and saving locally without internet connection? I have search and searched. Most offer offline access to your notes if you first sync them, which requires online, but not saving locally or not without being connected.

If there is no such thing, maybe there is a opportunity for you mobil app developers. Seems to be an obvious need for an editor without any sort of online requirement after you buy/install it.
Bill Anonomist Send private email
Saturday, February 08, 2014

I find it really annoying every time people post these "I can't find an app because I didn't bother looking. Can you guys post me a link, or better yet, write me a custom app. You could probably make money too ... from other people since I won't pay you."

As it is, there are THOUSANDS of apps that do what you want for Android. You obviously didn't look AT ALL. Lazy git.

There are even full blown MS office clones, with Excel, that run on Android. In fact, one of these is among the most popular Android apps in existence, and is free.
Scott Send private email

I have spent several hours, Scott. Even asked a bunch of young techies at the coffee shop this morning and they all said they know of nothing. Evernote, Springpad, DroidEdit -none of them offer this.

OK, I am using this for full blown Word processor/Spreadsheet functionality:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingsoft_Office

Can create and edit files on the local flash drive. I can copy them back and forth over USB cable. No internet needed, except to install it.
Scott Send private email

I'll add my commentary on text editing on phone/tablets in general.

The big problem all these have is the system virtual keyboards don't have arrow keys. If you need to correct things or move around, you have to select text with fingers. This is the worst possible way to do things, and it is the One True Holy Solution of God implemented in both iOS and Android. It sucks big time. Adding arrow navigation would massively improve things. They will never add it though because they are committed to their idea that these stupid virtual keyboards are sufficient, and selecting with fingers is better than with arrows.

Because of this specific flaw, for real mobile text editing, screw tablets and use a netbook. It has a real keyboard.
Scott Send private email

Thanks, Scott.  It did not show up any any searches for terms like "android offline editor" or "table offline editor". ask.com also had nothing to offer.

Supposedly it's been around (on the PC) for 25 years now. Produced in China, so a big advantage is no NSA backdoor!
Scott Send private email

If you just want a plain text editor, the second hit when googling for "android text editor" is jota-text-editor, which is free and you can even get the source code for it and compile it yourself.

https://sites.google.com/site/aquamarinepandora/home/jota-text-editor

It's amazing you didn't just search for "android text editor" since you would definitely have found that one.

Saves and loads files locally only, but can access any folder.

There's also JotterPad X which saves to local drive or to DropBox. Free, or pay $4 for Markdown support.

There's also Writer which is free and supports Markdown and only saves locally in its own folder.

Hm, there's one LightPaper $2 which has cursor buttons for forward and back a word or character - that would be a huge help. Local and Dropbox storage.

Seriously man, how did you not find any of these?
Scott Send private email

The search engine in the Google Play store is rubbish. This seems to be how most people look for Android applications. The trouble is that the focus is on "Top Paid", "Top Free" etc, which means there is less need to have a good search engine. Which in turn explains why there are so many apps than have never been downloaded.
Andrew Gibson Send private email
Sunday, February 09, 2014

Does the Android NOT have its own standard text editor or notepad?  <Shocked>.
PSB136 Send private email
Sunday, February 09, 2014

"Does the Android NOT have its own standard text editor or notepad?  <Shocked>."

There's an app for that.

AC
Reluctantlyregistered Send private email
Monday, February 10, 2014

"Produced in China, so a big advantage is no NSA backdoor!"

that actually put a smile on my face, oh you poor naive souls... :)

because eeeeverybody know chinese gov's backdoors are MUCH better than those crappy NSA ones. <LOL>
Koziolek Matolek Send private email
Thursday, February 13, 2014

"because eeeeverybody know chinese gov's backdoors are MUCH better than those crappy NSA ones. <LOL> "

Not what he was saying at all. What he was saying was that any encryption software sold or exported from the US has to, *by law*, be able to be unencrypted by the authorities. Whether through a back-door key or some other method.

Outside the US, though, this is not applicable. Maybe the Chinese have a similar law, but it's doubtful, and I certainly haven't seen anything.

Maybe it's simply a case that the Chinese spooks are vastly more intelligent and can work out the encryption themselves without asking for a backdoor, please :-)
Ewan McNab Send private email

>> "What he was saying was that any encryption software sold or exported from the US has to, *by law*, be able to be unencrypted by the authorities. "

That's wrong. But maybe the U.S. Government's mind controller device is making me say that.

Where did I leave my tin foil roll ... ?
Wyatt O'Day Send private email

"Maybe the Chinese have a similar law, but it's doubtful, "

aha, I don't know what it is but it seems new generations have a different perception of what a communist state does than the generations that had to live through it.

I will correct that sentence for you: remove the "maybe", and the "doubtful" bits. Btw, china imprisons people because of what they said, not what they did.
Koziolek Matolek Send private email
Monday, February 17, 2014

Here's what I was implying. Some chinese software is known to have has state inserted back doors. Some american software is known to have state inserted back doors. Because of the high quality of malware and the lovely way that once you have system privileges, you can install a rootkit that replaces system components making it impossible to find the malware, often it is extremely difficult to tell which software and hardware is compromised. Also, a lot of hardware now comes with malware inserted. Also, if  you are a person of interest, your hardware purchases get rerouted to warehouses en route to have even more fun stuff added, as has been documented in recent leaks.

The  quality of modern malware is not conspiracy theory, it is well known and security researchers have been documenting advances in the field for years. The endemic use of malware by states is also well known at the present.

So, who do I want watching me? China or the US? Given a choice, I prefer to be monitored by China because they present no risk to me or my friends or family. They do not attack people with drones, or send agents to kidnap and torture people. China is not going to put me an a list so that I am kidnapped and tortured when a plane I am on passes through the wrong airport.

But the US can and does do all these things.
Scott Send private email
Tuesday, February 18, 2014

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics