* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

How to get consistent support and maintenance renewals?

I have a software that is sold to few hundred users. The software is somewhat stable and doesn't need that much of an enhancement. As a result most users don't see the need for renewal and they don't come back for support and maintenance renewals.

However, most purchase the renewal if it is suggested to them when they come back and get some support.

How would you put your words for in a professional way to request renewals? Also, I am using a server activated licensing schema and most users come back for support when they want to reactivate mostly because they want to move their app into a new machine? Is it okay to ask for renewal when they come back for license(which is perpetual) related support requests?
drdrb Send private email
Tuesday, February 04, 2014
Could you clarify something - you say most don't see the value in renewals, but they do when prompted?

So is your software something that actually needs renewing, updating or are you just referring to paid service and support?

My impression is they can get by fine without you, until or unless they need tech support, at which time they seem OK with the idea of buying an extended tech support contract? Is that right?

Reluctantlyregistered Send private email
Add new beneficial features to your app that are available for free via maintenance renewals.
bcpro Send private email

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics