* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Please help me out?

Hi there,

There's a Big Data Tech Conference in  Boston this March and I bought two tickets. Unfortunately, something really important came up so I guess I have to let go of the tickets.  I attended a couple of years back and it was well worth it for networking, not to mention the excellent classes and tutorials. If you're interested, please click the link below:

http://www.eventbrite.com/e/sale-3-day-big-data-techcon-boston-march-31-april-2-2014-tickets-9027109327

If you know someone who'd be interested in attending, please help me out by letting them know about this. Btw, I'm selling the tickets for only $995 each (worth $1495 each).

Thank you and have a great week ahead!

Warm regards,
Mary White
Mary White Send private email
Sunday, January 26, 2014

The provided link does not support the claims of private party scalping sale, seems possibly a HailCorporate promotion of the conference using an alias.

The conference in question currently costs $1145 to register, and you get a $100 gift card back, so if this person did buy the ticket already, it actually cost him/her $1045.

http://www.bigdatatechcon.com/registrationdetails.html

Be on your toes guys, this is probably just an ad.
Scott Send private email
Monday, January 27, 2014

Also... there's a $100 per ticket discount if you buy 3 tickets or more.

So, buy 3 tickets for $1045 each, pay $945 with discount, sell the extra 2 for $995, now your own ticket cost only $745.
Scott Send private email
Monday, January 27, 2014

Note this: "You can receive a full refund, less a $150 registration fee, for cancellations made by Friday, February 28, 2014."

So, if OP really did pay $1495 as she claims, it would make far more sense to simply apply for a refund and lose $150 rather than lose $500 as she claims she is losing.
Scott Send private email
Monday, January 27, 2014

"it would make far more sense to simply apply for a refund and lose $150 rather than lose $500"

She'll be back shortly to thank you!  :-)
Drummer Send private email
Monday, January 27, 2014

And, so it goes for the Business of Software Welcome Wagon.
Profit and Loss Send private email
Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Ah, are first posts that are scalping tickets and making deliberately misrepresentations from someone using a fake name welcome now? Awesome!

WELCOME ASTROTURFERS, SCAMMERS AND DUMP AND RUN ADVERTISERS! THIS IS YOUR NEW HOME.
Scott Send private email
Wednesday, January 29, 2014

> Ah, are first posts that are scalping tickets and making deliberately misrepresentations from someone using a fake name welcome now? Awesome!

We don't know for sure that this is the case here.
Andy Brice Send private email

I found Profit and Loss's comment drily funny and actually supportive of Scott's comments.  "Mary White" (?) and "her" "post" also struck me as suspicious. 

On the other hand, if I still lived around Boston I would definitely pop in for the free exhibit hall.  I wonder what happens there.
Racky Send private email

+1 to Scott for deduction.
Scorpio Send private email
Thursday, January 30, 2014

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics