* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Software to manage maintenance renewals

What software are you using to manage your support / maintenance renewals? I have a home grown system but I'm sure maintaining it isn't a good use of my time.
Ducknald Don Send private email
Monday, January 13, 2014

Well, all depend, for example I need to manage the stuff related to my software (packaged and also custom development) and also other services that I sell in my company (as hosting, system administration, etc) and I ended up developing my own tools.

I doubt you can find a tool that cover all your need in this field or, at least, I not found any never.
Germán Arduino Send private email
Monday, January 13, 2014

+ Germán

It will have to be heavily tied in to your licensing system and your email system, which means it's very often a roll your own.
Doug Send private email
Monday, January 13, 2014

It sounds like there may be an opportunity here ...
Ducknald Don Send private email
Tuesday, January 14, 2014

I have a very comprehensive & powerful solution sitting in our source control system for doing just that and more. I've often thought about open sourcing the code, but  I haven't found the time. The software does everything from pricing, renewals, quotations, invoicing, etc. The code is mostly generic and can be applied to any products, although there are areas where it gets specific to what we are doing.
jamieb22 Send private email
Tuesday, January 14, 2014

For subscriptions look at Stipe.com (or similar). They have a nice interface and handle recurring payments and a nice API if you want to integrate it into your system or send new clients a signup/payment form.

Depending on who you have things setup you might be able to just use their dashboard to monitor all your subscriptions without spending extra time on dev/maint.

@undrwd
Scott U Send private email
Sunday, January 19, 2014

I use Inventory management system software to manage and maintenance all with store. This is totally online based software dedicated with cloud based server.
nashir Send private email
Thursday, January 23, 2014

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics