* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

How to promote social media software?

I have a social media software, useful for managing social media activities. Apart from Adwords, where else can I promote this software.

Do you know any strategy or how  I can promote on those social media website like facebook and twitter?

Your suggestions are welcomed.
Denise Thompson Send private email
Saturday, January 11, 2014

You're asking us for advice on how to promote your social media software using social media?
Andy Brice Send private email

Priceless.
Blocky Send private email

Sorry, my question is not clear. What I mean is this:

I'm trying to promote the software to potential customers, I have tried promoting on some forums with text and banner ads but the result are not encouraging despite the forums hosting users who are interested in social media.

I'm now looking to advertise directly on those social media, but I'm not sure how effective their advertising platforms will be.

What I'm asking is:

1. Will promoting a social media software through those social media's advertising platforms be more targeted and effective than through sources?

2. What other sources are available for promoting software in general regardless of the type of software is been promoted?
Denise Thompson Send private email

Do you mean manage social media for business purposes?

If so then you need to target businesses more directly, because by definition they are not very good with social media.

AC
Reluctantlyregistered Send private email
Sunday, January 12, 2014

This will be difficult as there are probably only three classes of people:

1) People who think social media is a load of BS and will never buy into it.

2) People who believe it is useful and have been using it for a while, who have established ways of working, so will be hard to convince to try your "better mousetrap".

3) People who might be interested, but need to be educated (expensive), are probably confused by the thousands (millions?) of options out there and are naturally wary of snake oil salesmen who they will have heard about promising the moon, but delivering nothing, apart from a big bill.
Scorpio Send private email
Monday, January 13, 2014

You could try Linkedin ads targeted at people who list social media skills* and/or subscribe to social media oriented groups. But it is a minimum of $2 per click.

*I use the term 'skills' loosely. There seems to been a whole new class of 'social media consultants' with no discernible talents.
Monday, January 13, 2014

BTW a lot of us crusty old-timers aren't very impressed by social media, as you may have gathered from the tone here. Don't take it personally.
Monday, January 13, 2014

@Andy
I think the issue here is the "...'social media consultants' with no discernible talents..." as you say yourself.

Standing out from the crowd of charlatans is going to be tough.
Scorpio Send private email
Monday, January 13, 2014

I think ultimately social media is about people, so hiring someone else is somewhat counterproductive.

It's about putting yourself out there, which isn't really something you can delegate. There are things you can learn , pretty simple things, but all a bit too vague and general to offer as a service to others.

Ultimately, as Andy hinted, take your own medicine. Get out there and promote your tool via social media, prove it works.

AC
Reluctantlyregistered Send private email
Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Create Profile with your targeted domain name to all famous social networking site who's search engine  like. Also promote your domain with link for to get in SERP's 1st positions.
nashir Send private email
Thursday, January 23, 2014

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics