* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Advices on helpdesk systems?

I'm looking for a helpdesk system to handle customer requests.

I've found lots of options, but all of them either
- free (or cheap) and not good - lack of features, bad UI design etc.
- expensive, like $1000+, I don't feel like I want to pay that much

After hours of market researching, I feel like I need some help to make a decision...

I'd be glad if anyone advices a system which:
* can be hosted on our server
* can be purchased as one-off payment
* has full e-mail integration (pipe requests from email and handle replies, so customers don't have to register/login anywhere)
Kuzmitskiy Dmitry Send private email
Sunday, January 05, 2014

We are very happy with RedmineCRM
http://redminecrm.com/projects/crm/pages/1
Leslaw Dietrich Send private email
Sunday, January 05, 2014

To be precise: Redmine CRM Helpdesk plugin is here
http://redminecrm.com/projects/helpdesk/pages/1
Leslaw Dietrich Send private email
Sunday, January 05, 2014

It will probably be hard to find anything you'd own these days. Rent - yes. Own... not much of a choice. I use very simplistic help desk which was written few years ago by some php enthusiasts. Frankly it's a very good little system and I am using it on daily basis. They were planning to release some updates last year but somehow it didn't come up... Still much better than renting :)

http://www.eticketsupport.com
Dima Send private email
Sunday, January 05, 2014

I recommend checking out . . .
http://www.groovehq.com/
Scott U Send private email
Sunday, January 05, 2014

I can recommend Helpspot

http://www.helpspot.com/

No connection other than customer for 4+ years.
Ryan Wheeler Send private email
Sunday, January 05, 2014

Thanks everyone for answering!

It looks like I've found the system I was looking for.
Sunday, January 05, 2014

I'm surprised no one suggested Hesk yet

its free, ($35 i think to remove their powered by hesk icon/link)

www.hesk.com

Here is a rundown of what i see in hesk. I'm writing it up as I view the features in my backend from an admin / user perspecitve.  not clients.

YES -* can be hosted on our server
YES - * can be purchased as one-off payment (but not required if ur ok with the powered by logo on the bottom of each page
YES - has full e-mail integration (pipe requests from email and handle replies, so customers don't have to register/login anywhere)
YES - email piping (but I have not been able to get it work yet.  Havent putmuch effort into it)
YES - multiple employees
YES - multiple users
YES - user does not have to sign in or create account to post a ticket, or check a reply.  Just needs an email.
YES - skinable UI, (but i have not edited it much)
NO - do I work for HESK? :) (just a happy user of the free version)
YES - install was easy, but need some tech knowledge as you need to add SQL db, etc. but easy if you know it and plan to host on your own server.
YES - Categoriez tickets
YES - departments
Yes - canned responses
Yes - reports of most type of questions, etc.. bunch of different reports you can build to see how many tickets you get
yes - easy search for ticket features.
yes - historical replies
yes - file attachments in replies by you and by clients
yes - some sort of internal emailing system to the admin and your team members, but I've never used it.
yes - reassign tickets to other team members
yes - knowledge base creation from tickets, to show users suggestsion before they submit a ticket.
yes - customizable from for the questions to be filled in by the client submiting the ticket.
yes - anti spam captcha  like the 5+6=  type, not the image based type.
yes - user rating system, a client can rate stars for the reply of your team member / employee so you know who they are answering tickets overall.
yes - randomly assign new tickets to active team members.
yes - a team member can be allowed permission to see other team member tickets, so a team leader can be assigned to see all other tickets open, handy to see all open tickets from one admin / leader account.
yes - bunch of user permissions to show and hide sections of the backend admin to create tiered team member levels.

lol, I dont think I've never written up anything about a product I've used, as much as I've done in this post.

Highly recommended, if you have not got that already :)

again, I'm not part of hesk in any way, just a satisfied user. of the free version.  (writing this post makes me want to pay them the $35 just to support the project now :)
I've been using it since 2011 I think.
NewGuyOnTheBlock Send private email
Sunday, January 05, 2014

Dmitry,
can you share with us which one you found?
Sunday, January 05, 2014

You can try eAssistance Pro live chat software, it is not free but very cost effective. Before purchase you can try 15 days trial version of software.  For more detail visit http://www.eassistancepro.com/
Jed Clinton Send private email
Monday, January 06, 2014

One more vote for Hesk, it's great and costs only $40
handzhiev Send private email
Monday, January 06, 2014

My vote for HelpSpot -- we've been using it for a few years (5+??) and are very happy with it.
Doug Send private email
Monday, January 06, 2014

Feels weird to recommend my own product, but one of our products is actually a helpdesk tool that has both "on-premise" and cloud-hosted versions. http://www.jitbit.com/web-helpdesk/ The cloud version starts at $29 a month and is being used by hundreds of companies.

Email me for a discount if you're a long time Joel's forum member ("info [at] jitbit.com")

PS. we're C#-based, so if you need a php-based self-hosted system I'd vote for HelpSpot
AlexD Send private email
Monday, January 06, 2014

I've tried Hesk, but it lacked some of the features I needed, eg. it didn't include replies in the e-mails and customers had to go to the web page to view it.

I've decided to use LiveAgent.

@AlexD - your web page shows error 503 :)
Tuesday, January 07, 2014

in hesk you can modify the emailed templates easily
so your user gets the reply in the email and does not have to goto your site to read the response.
Wednesday, January 08, 2014

Am I the only one using Osticket?
Darren Send private email
Friday, January 10, 2014

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics