* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

New business trust scaling and trust questins

Dear Community,

I'm thinking of a starting a small business withn an app that will help people to organize their trips. Not digging into details, I'd like to advise me sources, where I can find more for the following matters:

1. I would like to find volunteers/sponsors, but I am afraid to share the idea of my app completely, so competitors can steal it. Where and how is the best to look for a team and share my idea?

2. I would like to make 2-side integration with competitors. How to avoid the risk the comptibility layer modules to be blocked by competitors?

3. The idea of the app is that the users share their location data among each other. Is it ok to use trust ratings for users?

4. My application doesn't make sence until it has at least 1000 users. How can I attract these 1000 users?
Andrei Khveras Send private email
Sunday, December 29, 2013

1. Anyone can steal your idea once you've launched a product. Worrying about this doesn't make any sense at all.

2. It sound like you're inventing problems that don't exist.

3. As long as you are upfront about what you are doing this shouldn't present a problem.

4. You need to overcome the psychological barrier you have put up with point 1 and start talking about your app and getting people interested. Drop the paranoia about people stealing your idea. Ideas are a dime a dozen. It's the implementation that matters. Why not put it on kickstarter and see if generates a buzz?
Andrew Gibson Send private email
Wednesday, January 01, 2014

You are thinking of this the wrong way.

Suppose you had a fully functioning software, tested and all ready to go. What then? are you going to keep it a secret? You think having a product stops people from competing with you?

How about current competitors? Is anybody else doing this? No? Why not?then that might be a bigger worry.

Step back and look at the bigger picture.
cn Send private email
Sunday, January 05, 2014

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics