* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Has anyone tried pay per install programs to distribute their so

I have been looking to try out some of those pay per install programs to increase the distribution and sales of my photo watermark product. I don't intend to bundle other software with my installer, rather my software will be bundled with other software. Has anyone tried this route? What is the conversion rate like? I know the rates will be different for every software but just to get an idea if it is worth spending money on PPI channel. I have tried Download.com's pay per download once and it was a complete waste of money.
Yash Send private email
Thursday, December 26, 2013

Personally I always untick the installation of anything other than the software I wanted.

If I DID get tricked I'd uninstall the offending program immediately.

AC
Reluctantlyregistered Send private email

Bundling works great - for certain types of product. I doubt it will work for a photo watermarking app at all. How will you target your users? Its much better suited for general purpose products like system optimizers, anti-virus etc. I bet you will be wasting your money again.
Jaywalker Send private email

Unless it is carefuilly targetted, I predict it will be a complete waste of money. If you are paying per install, not per sale, there no is incentive for the PPI company to be targeted. Also, a lot of these PPI companies are very shady - how do you know the number of install they report is accurate?
Andy Brice Send private email
Friday, December 27, 2013

All very valid concerns. The company in question is Conduit so I am willing to take the gamble. Yes there's no targeting and my app is not general purpose like anti virus or system enhancement, but I am willing to take the bet because our targeted conversion ratio is healthy. At least I will come to know what the non targeted conversion ratio is for my app. If I get the same ratio as our targeted sales the numbers will be phenomenal which I know wont happen, but even if I can manage 50% of our regular conversion ratio, we'll make profit.

As for trusting their numbers my app requires activation so I will know if they lying if the activation numbers don't corroborate with their reported numbers. Again some people may install but never actually run our app, so the numbers won't be 100% match but a close enough number will tell me whether its genuine or fraud.

I have seen a lot of companies bundling software so it must be working for at least some of them, so I wanted to know if someone has tried it and hows the experience been like.
Yash Send private email

I used to work for a very slimey company, and they bundled their software with some Napster/gnutella like software (grokster I think it was).  We tried installing the distribution product on one of our test computers to see how our product worked in that scenario.  This was a few years back, but our test computer ended up with something like _10_ (if not more) tool bars, _2_ anti-virus/'security' apps, and about 10ish other applications.  The whole computer ground to a halt with dozens of setup programs all trying to run at once.

It was horrible.  But we did get our crapware distributed to people that were too naïve to know how to opt out or uninstall it, and at pennies per install.

This is a very shady corner of the software distribution world.  I've not heard of Conduit, but be careful who you deal with.

(I left that company after 3 months)
Doug Send private email

>even if I can manage 50% of our regular conversion ratio, we'll make profit.

For untargeted traffic the conversion ratio is likely to be orders of magnitude lower.
Andy Brice Send private email

From my experience with PPI Programs,it depends on your current conversion rate or the rough number of sales you make per month.
what is your current conversion rate?
flow Send private email
Saturday, December 28, 2013

>what is your current conversion rate?

4.5%
Yash Send private email

4.5 is a good conversion rate.I just took a look at your website and the product you offer.As per my understanding you are offering a free version.Why do you offer a free version,doesn't this  reduce your CR?
flow Send private email

The free and pro versions are in a single app. For first 15 days the app works as pro and then it becomes a freeware with certain features turned off unless they buy, And it helps. Those who need basic watermarking can still use the app in free mode.  It prevents them from installing a rival product and then I can target them with discount offers over a period. Some users have converted after a couple of years.
Yash Send private email

Good thinking,But what exactly force a user to buy pro version?
If the person can use the software free for ever and can do some basic tasks like watermarking,will he buy it?

And did you start your business with this model or did you offer the free version later? Did this have any significant influence on CR?
flow Send private email

The features that we add in pro version and the way we market them to our existing users combined with the heavy discount that we offer from time to time makes users buy. It kind of likes works like In App purchases. I did not start with this model. Initially there was only free version - a side project, pro version was an afterthought and it kind of took off. Free version has greatly helped for sure. People come looking for free and when they see what's on offer they don't mind paying if they find value. Gradually the product is evolving from a simple watermarking app to a more general purpose photo editor and eventually may be a  complete photography workflow app - who knows.

That's the reason I am tempted to try PPI. I am confident of our ability to convert users, it's just a matter of reaching a larger audience. With PPC and other kind of advertising, we have kind of reached the potential audience actively looking for our type of software, that's why the number of installs over past six months have been flat, but since we have become better at converting them, we are making more money per install. If I can get a wider installed base, I have a long shot at converting more.
Yash Send private email

I get your Point.As you have mentioned earlier your software is not a General Purpose product,it is only interesting to a small group of people.The success of your heterogeneous campaign will depend of the number of sales you make per month.How many(approx) sales you get monthly?
flow Send private email

Yash: "It prevents them from installing a rival product ..."

Slimy.

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko
Gene Wirchenko Send private email
Monday, December 30, 2013

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics