* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Need to review my new social network

I've launched a small micro-blogging social network last Sunday, I'm still struggling with it's marketing:

Because I have only a shared hosting,  I didn't find yet an effective tool to send my first newsletter.

Please have a look : www.freespoke.com
Simo Taqi Send private email
Tuesday, December 24, 2013
Who are your competitors? In your opinion.
Alex Vasilevsky Send private email
I don't know if there are competitors or not... because I see no website with the same idea.
I added a small description in the home page, to make it clear.
My opinion:

It's too broad an agenda ("spreading thoughts".) All social media does that already.

The "expiration" concept is incredibly silly and too short - a video clip that someone submits expires within 45 minutes!? No one will bother with that. I wouldn't.  You are acting here like you have a user base of billions and you have to manage the flood of submissions. In reality you'll be lucky to have someone even look at this site.

You only have the blank signup page, with no content visible. Why should I waste my time signing up for a ghost town?

This is a waste of your time except as a training and learning exercise.
Profit and Loss Send private email
Yeah, I think you're right, I'm going to think of better ideas....  I'm already working on that.

But one think, an expired post is not deleted, it's still there in the user's profile, and it's still viewed by the user's followers.

It's just removed from the competition between the featured posts..
I don't think this is a niche social network, as it's not targeted as a specific group of people (for example, people who breed goldfish, soccer fans, or whatever).

From your description, it seems very much like Vine ( https://vine.co/ ), but Vine has the advantage of being mobile so it's a lot easier to upload videos (and the small plus of being owned by Twitter).

As a general rule of thumb, avoid social networks unless it's a REALLY specific niche and you have at least some know-how about it (you know where they meet, what magazines they read, etc)
Sandy Wilkins Send private email
Wednesday, December 25, 2013
make it a religious speakfree site.

Religious people love to spread messages. Might pickup a user base.
NewGuyOnTheBlock Send private email
Wednesday, December 25, 2013
@SandyWilkins, thank you , since it's very difficult to market new social networking sites... I have a small idea that may help.

I think I must first add some free content (like programming articles), the guests must register and log in to read full content.

After a while, I will gradually shape the website the social network I want, (like for ex: adding a chat between users, then adding postings and comments, adding profiles, walls, albums etc..) all, without removing the content.

finally, I must end with something like 20% articles, and 80% social network. Or I can even create pages  (like facebook pages) for the content.

I think ,this will encourage people create accounts, and interact with the site, and the agree with the fact that the site is switching gradually from blogging to social networking.

It's a matter of years after all. What do you think?
Thursday, December 26, 2013
@NewGuyOnTheBlock, hahaha ... your idea is for sure will work, but I'm not religious and I can't bear watching religious people struggling about which lie is right :).

I've created this project for a similar purpose : 2 people can add two videos about political views, football teams, or just ideas about science, technology, philosophy etc..

The site will show the idea that has most of the "ups" from the sidebar of the site. If a user "ups" this idea, its life will increase by 1 minute, if "downs" then it will decrease by 1 minute. and the countdown starts.

when the countdown of an idea ends, it will be removed from the sidebar... and will be replaced by the next one.

This will allow people to compete ideas and thoughts ... only 1 of them is in the side bar for a limited time.

Another feature, there's a Tailored zone in the sidebar... showing the idea with most "ups" from the country or hashtag you selected in the parameters.

other than that, all your followers can see all your ideas... just like twitter.

Thank you
Think of it like that :

1- Twitter with micro-blogging, with hashtags and usertags
2- Plus  one feature, 2 ideas show in the sidebar (1 featured idea and 1 tailored idea)

3- There's no idea that can show forever on the sidebar... every idea needs more "ups" to stay there. And you can't create many accounts to support your idea, because every account needs an email, and needs to be verified before you can "up" or "down".

Thank you guys, I think my option is to add content, then start to integrate more features... for me, reaching only 1000 users means I'm okey... otherwise, I'll give up ;)

Honestly do you think people would create an account on the site with getting to know what the site is all about.

I did not bother to go further ahead and that would be what all users would do I suppose.

John121 Send private email
Friday, December 27, 2013
Thank you John,  I'm working now on the whole project, creating something else I think is better.

I'm going to finish this after 4-5 months.

Best regards,
Sunday, December 29, 2013
Also, technically speaking, As I created the social network from scratch without framework... I'm going to take the next project a step further and use Symfony2.
Sunday, December 29, 2013
In my view ..You firstly identify who are your consumer aad always target them. ..spreading message to unusual person is not a great deal
rishisharma Send private email
Monday, January 06, 2014

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics