* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

LLC Creation in San Diego for a non US Resident

I currently live in France

I would like to know if it's possible to open a LLC company in San Diego/CA and a Business + Personnal Bank Account.

My web site will be selling online course, most of my customers will be in France.

I'm planning to move to the US (San Diego) with my family in a few years.

// Time to go West and leave this blood Communist country!
Tarek Send private email
Saturday, December 21, 2013

"if it's possible to open a LLC company in San Diego/CA"
You might want to be like Walmart and incorporate in Delaware (Rhode Island would be another option).  As for a personal bank account and the like, it is much easier if you purchase property in the U.S.  You can incorporate your company in a different state than where you reside.  I believe if you incorporate in California, you have to pay business tax on top of your personal income tax.  Contact the State business development department for where you want to incorporate, and they should be able to put you in touch with companies that specialize in setting up foreign owned businesses.  A far bigger problem is immigration, you will definitely need the services of a lawyer, and there are no guarantees, even if you have a U.S. based business.
Howard Ness Send private email
Sunday, December 22, 2013

A non resident foreigner opening a bank account in the US will likely be red flagged as a suspicious event that is likely related to money laundering. You'll also need to spend a lot of time setting up the paperwork. You'll also have to hire a local attorney there.

Creating an LLC in California will cost $25 and you have to pay a $800 annual fee. It gains you nothing really in your circumstance, but they will be happy to take your money should you go to the trouble of setting this up.
Scott Send private email
Tuesday, December 24, 2013

"I'm planning to move to the US (San Diego) with my family in a few years."

Easier said than done if you are not a citizen and have to job offer.

Perhaps you think that your new US based business will be able to issue you, the founder, an H1B or other such  visa. This is not going to work.
Scott Send private email
Tuesday, December 24, 2013

I don't know anything about foreigners forming an LLC in CA but I can tell you that the state tax for having the LLC is a minimum of $800 per year or whatever your state income tax is (Which I think is about 10% of income for anything over $45K).  So if you make a decent profit it's just your income tax, but if you don't, you have to pay $800 to maintain the LLC.

I am curious why California?  You refer to France as a "blood communist" country.  I assume that's a little exaggeration/sarcasm but overall you're fed up with their anti-business, blood sucking tax structure.

If so -- California might not be your best choice in the US.  I imagine it's better than France, but it's about as high as it gets in the US for both cost of living and taxes.  And the politics is pretty anti-business in terms of regulations and government interference.

San Diego does have the weather though - got to love that and very nice people overall. 

I suppose it's all relative but if you're really leaving France for more business freedom, I'd do some research into places in the US -- the taxes, laws, and culture can vary quite dramatically from city to city, state to state.  Good luck!
Emily Jones Send private email
Monday, December 30, 2013

One more thing, if you do end up living in San Diego you have to pay the corporate taxes to CA regardless of where you incorporate (like Delaware).  At least that is my understanding.

I just did my CA LLC through these folk -- they could probably answer your questions. 
www.myllc.com
There are other similar organizations with lots of free info online.
Emily Jones Send private email
Monday, December 30, 2013

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics