* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Normally, when does December holidays start & end?

Just wanted to know when do people & corporates in USA go for vacation. When do they get back to work?

What's most common dates?
Gautam Jain Send private email
Thursday, December 19, 2013

Depends on what kind of business it is. Most places I've worked (manufacturing) the offices were closed Christmas Eve and Day, and New Years Eve and Day. Generally from the week of Christmas until January 2nd not a lot of external business happens as a lot of sites will use that period for maintenance shutdowns, year end inventory etc...
TrippinOnIT Send private email

Like TrippinOnIT, I also worked in manufacturing, and holiday shutdowns were not the norm. Every place I worked curbed spending at the end of the year to trim expenses, so from a vendor's perspective, they might as well have been shut down. Normal purchasing operations resumed after New Year's.
Nicholas Hebb Send private email

> Every place I worked curbed spending at the end of the year to trim expenses

This has certainly been my experience. I generally find sales are slow in Nov/Dec and pick up again in Jan.
Jonathan Matthews Send private email

>This has certainly been my experience. I generally find sales are >slow in Nov/Dec and pick up again in Jan.

My experience too.  It's not unusual for for sales in November and December to be 0.6x-0.7x and January to be 2x where x is my average monthly sales.
Mark Nemtsas Send private email

>>and January to be 2x where x is my average monthly sales.

I can personally attest to the above fact.  Since my business too depends on US working days.
Web Developers Send private email

Depends on how easy it is to shut down the manufacturing plant.  In many industries, the production side was contracted out a long time ago, so it depends on when finished goods arrive at warehouses.  The only days where employers have to pay overtime to get staff to work are Christmas and New Years. 

If manufacturing is shut down for the week between Christmas and New Years, then most of the office staff will also get the time off, especially if it is part of a collective bargaining agreement for the plants.  It also depends on what day of the week Christmas falls on, if it's on a weekend, most companies will close on a Friday or Monday close to it.  That covers days off without having to use allotted vacation time.

In 2013, Christmas is on Wednesday, so if employees have unused vacation days, it is common to use them  up to get a longer, unbroken period of time off work.  If you take the 23rd and 24th as vacation, you can devote 4 days to non-stop shopping, and if you take the 26th, 27th, 30th and 31st as vacation days, you have 8 days to go to Mexico or Costa Rica for a holiday, or get married.  To get more favourable bookings, some people will take a couple of days off right after New Years, so don't expect to find everyone at work on January 2nd, either.

Nobody has more unused vacation days than Americans, so the odds of contacting customers during the last two weeks of the year aren't great.  Also, anyone who has to work on the 24th, 26th or 31st will leave work by noon if at all possible.  Anyone who hasn't made their sales targets by December 15th is probably out of luck.  Your odds of collecting payment or getting a buying decision after the middle of December are very low.  You might as well try to find people working in offices in France in July.
Howard Ness Send private email
Saturday, December 21, 2013

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics