* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

They say don't make a product that cater for developers...

I (and may you also) have read SEVERAL times that if you make a product that targets developers, you'll have a hard time convincing them to buy.

Reasons including developers themselves can make software to solve their problems, developers have higher expectations than ordinary users, etc...

What do you think?

Anyways, in the past 2 years I had to develop a tool for developers (web developers, to be specific).

Actually, I had to make this tool to solve my own website developing problem: I felt extremely uncomfortable having to use 3 separated tools in order to edit my websites:

1 - A text editor to code html/css/js;
2 - A browser to see the result;
3 -  Firebug (or Dev Tools) to inspect and tweak css styles.

So I wrote one that combines the three together, in order to make me feel handy when developing websites for my own software products.

Time will tell me if I'll have a hard time to sell it very well :D

Click my name bellow if you are interested in, 1.0 has just out :)
Edwin Yip Send private email
Saturday, November 30, 2013
I'll be appreciated if you find any content of the website that doesn't tell the idea well.
B2D is a tough market, but at least it is one you understand and, obviously, some people do make a good living at it.

It is relatively cheap, so I recommend you put the price on the home page.

"edit and inspect html/css lively"

Doesn't really make sense to me. "edit and inspect live html/css" might work better.

I notice typos on the home page:

"How LIVEditor achieves a painless and smoother workflow?" -> "How does LIVEditor achieve a painless and smooth workflow?"

"LVIEditor's built-in Web Browser" -> "LIVEditor's built-in Web Browser"

And buy page:

"as long as your are" -> "as long as you are"

Typos imply a poor quality product (fairly or not).

And I only skimmed it. You need to get it proof read by a native English speaker.

Good luck!
Andy Brice Send private email
The videos all say "No video with supported format and MIME type found" - I'm on Mac/latest Firefox.

Typo on the first line of the body: "What? Why another text editor, even it's designed *soley* for web developers?"

I found the block of text at the start of the index page a bit off putting: I'd rather see some image and much shorter text to get me interested.

I guess your software is only Windows, from the screenshots.

Your software is interesting but I think your main competition is Firebug, which is free. A tough position to be in.
koan Send private email
It is interesting, but I wonder if there are enough people motivated enough to buy it, who aren't already using something similar, especially those pesky free ones.

Also, noticed a *lot* of issues with spelling, etc, even the product name itself, which isn't very encouraging. Luckily, that is one of the easiest things to fix, with a little help from a native English speaker.

Overall, I like the idea of the product, but I do wonder if there is a market for it. You should really be strong on your USP(s), as there are so many IDEs around and developers are quite attached to their favourites, so it'd be hard to convince them to dump that and use something else.
Scorpio Send private email
@Andy Brice,
"at least it is one you understand", very true, and that's the advantage over other domains you are not familiar with.

The typos are fixed, except I did meant "smoother", not just "smooth". Actually another complete proof-read will be done soon.

Thank you very much!
Fixed the typo, and moved up the screenshot a little (actually I noticed that problem myself earlier, but was stilling thinking it over :)

LIVEditor's is for people who (me for one) don't want to waste time on manually syncing changes made in Firebug (or Dev Tools) and the css code in the text editor, it's not just an alternative to Firebug and the likes.
@Scorpio, thanks for the comment, yes, I'm still working on improving the USPs.

Actually LIVEditor don't want to complete with other IDE or itself want to be a IDE (read bloat, slow, complex), to summaries,

- LIVEditor is for you if you want to see real-time result in the same window as you edit your css and html.

- LIVEditor is for you if you use the html inspector of Firebug (or Dev Tools) to tweak css styles, but are tired of having to manually copy the changes you made back to your css/html source code.

Not sure if the idea can be told in a manner that is complying to the 'elevator pitch' rule, I'll try anyway...
The question I would ask myself before developing something like this - do people still use plain old HTML files nowdays? My guess is that most folks, especially developers, use some sort of CMS or, at least, some sort of templating system.

Just wondering, how many people here still run their websites on plain HTML?
Sergey Kornilov Send private email
First things first, get someone to rewrite the copy for you. It's not just a matter of typos and if you just try to fix the errors, you'll end up spending too much time and you are unlikely to get the professional results you need.

Fix the design so that it is obvious to all that the page continues below the fold. First time through, I scrolled down to the first horizontal bar with your download button and since it looked like the end of the page, I went to a different page and it's only through sheer luck I noticed the scroll bar was still high when I came back  on that page.

Next, get rid of your first screenshot and all the What? Why? How? on top of the page. You are offering yet another html/css tool, you have microseconds to show us that yours is different from the hundreds of other editors out there.

All the bla bla bla is too slow.  The screenshot only shows a code window with a preview, code completion and a css navigator - all features which have been pretty much standard in free editors for the last decade or so.

Now, looking at the video below, your workflow between the preview, html code and css looks pretty interesting but the screenshot doesn't show it. My suggestion would be to get rid of nearly everything you currently have above the fold and replace it with the first video. Once people SEE what the workflow looks like, they might be interested enough to read on and see what else it does and if it has _____ feature that they "can't live without".

Your "download" and "buy" bar at the bottom. Make it fixed at the bottom and put a down arrow somewhere so that people know that they can scroll the page.

On your download page, I really liked the comprehensive release notes and I suspect many other devs will appreciate it -I hate having to download a new version of a software just because it is a new version without knowing what has changed.

Pointing out the size of the download, cool but for heaven's sake, get rid of "(the majority of the size is the webkit web browser)". That makes it sound like you're just repackaging webkit and that there is hardly any of your own code.

About the download, one of my pet peeves is not knowing what I am downloading. Is it a trial version that I will need to get rid of to install the real thing? Is it a time limited trial? Is it going to install and just ask me for a license key? Is there a trial at all? or is it a fully functional software I can pay for when I feel like it (à la Winzip)
Sylvain Galibert Send private email
Even though I'm producing old school closed proprietary software for my dev tools I'm reluctant to use anything that is not open source.

I don't want to build my business on some commercial software that might disappear some day and leave me in the rain. A software that might miss a critical feature and never get it.

It's pretty schizophrenic but yeah ... those people who can't code deserve to be robbed by us. Just don't try the same tricks on me :)
Jeremy Morassi Send private email
Sunday, December 01, 2013
@Sergey Kornilov, plain html/css/js gives you much flexibly and control. 

And if you check the last video at the bottom, LIVEditor allows you tweak any CMS sites with live preview.
@Sylvain Galibert,

Thanks for the valuable input, all your advises are taken, unbelievable.
@Jeremy Morassi,

You are funny :) But anyways, essentially LIVEditor is a text/code editor, no proprietary data.
This is a really cool idea. There is definitely need for a tool like this.

I see this more as a tool for web designers rather than developers though. The inspect element and such are useful only for designers.

As a web developer using mostly javascript, I'm already using an IDE because it provides much better support for autocomplete / syntax errors, etc.

If you want to target the developer market, and not just designers, you should consider making this a full fledged IDE including support for javascript, PHP, and Java.
IdeaSkeer Send private email
Just wondering, how many people here still run their websites on plain HTML?
Yes I use plain HTML and I use NotePad to edit them,
though i think NotePad is enough to me but good luck
GerryLu Send private email

Your comment for the LIVEditor product itself is very insightful! Yes,  the problem LIVEditor solves is more about designing...
Monday, December 02, 2013
@GerryLu, Thanks!
Looks similar to Coda: http://www.panic.com/coda/. Any differences of note?
Kevin Walzer Send private email
As a developer, I used to not have much issues with purchasing a development tool out of my own money. In the past decade, the standard corporate policy has been to prohibit such stuff. Everything has to go through purchasing and a business case has to be made to support it. So whether it costs $100 or $100k, the process is pretty much the same.
Peter Send private email
@Kevin Walzer,

Well, to understand LIVEditor I think comparing Coda is not the best way.

If you find yourself frequently and are tired of switching among  your code editor, Firebug (or Dev Tools)'s css inspector and the browser, LIVEditor is the right tool for you. 

Need not to say, Coda is for Mac and LIVEditor is for Windows :)
Tuesday, December 03, 2013

Thanks for the info, it's useful. But the price still need to be reasonable, right? Especially when the market is crowed.

Just added .webm video format for the <video> html5 tag, I'm wondering if it plays now in your Firefox on Mac :)

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics