* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Banner Ads/BuySellAds for generating Traffic/Income

What do you guys think about Banner Ads for your product?

I've tried it once before, the results were terrible. It was due to me being a complete noob and buying something that I thought was cheap.

This time, I am retrying it. I've spent about $300 on Banner Ads from BuySellAds. I'm getting a lot of impression but a very low CTR. I'll do some A/B testing and see if this could be a good way to generate traffic/sales.

I am currently using a nicely designed banner displaying my product and what it can do in 1 sentence. I didn't make it flashy, animated or anything, I think that'll make people NOT want to click it more. I will try it out though.

Have you tried it/ how was your experience?
John Senar Send private email
Saturday, November 23, 2013

As a general rule, when someone asks me for wording for banner ads I refuse.

Partly as it seems silly to charge enough for my time for a short, snappy sentence - but such a sentence could take a week to come up with.

The main reason though is that the ROI with banners is so low that I advise against them.

For SOME products and niches, when advertised on ideal sites with ideal readers, they can return positive ROI. Generally though, they're a waste of space for most people.

I find they're more like television ads, in that they get your name out there and build brand recognition. Not so great on clickthroughs and direct response. But like I say, your results may vary.

AC
Reluctantlyregistered Send private email
Saturday, November 23, 2013

I also want to test the performance of paid AD,what type of paid ads to you recommend other than the adwards?
GerryLu Send private email
Sunday, November 24, 2013

My first two days of statics are terrible.  Barely ANY clicks. Also, whatever clicks I've got, they seem fishy, like bot traffic.

I will continue to do testing but so far, I think buying banner ads are a big mistake.

Yes, does anyone know what else to use to advertise beside adwords?
John Senar Send private email
Sunday, November 24, 2013

There are some other pay per click networks out there.

Some will allow you to place ads only on selected sites, and it it's a narrow niche this can work well. Other times they can have awful click fraud.

Probably the best way to advertise is pay per ACTION, such as download, signup or sale, rather than per click. However PPA networks tend to be fussy and only for higher ticket items.

Back in 2007 Google tried that, I don't know what happened to it - probably too easy to notice the lack of ROI with Google...

This may help:

http://www.earningguys.com/affiliate_marketing/20-best-cpa-affiliate-networks/

AC
Reluctantlyregistered Send private email
Monday, November 25, 2013

If you have the ability, see where your banner-clicking visitors are coming from.  I found most of mine were from 3rd world countries that have never purchased my software (ie some sort of click farm I suppose).
Doug Send private email

+1 to Reluctantlyregistered, banner ads are about brand recognition, not clicks/sales. Brand recognition is for big companies with big advertising budgets.
Andy Brice Send private email

Personally I've experimented with banner style advertising before. Previously I had ads that were like very large banners on a popular site in my niche. They generated a lot of traffic and some sales but probably didn't break even.

I'm planning to try out BuySellAds.com again soon. I don't expect to see a positive return, at least not right away (although I'd be happy to be surprised) my reasons for doing it are:

-----------------------------------------------
1) I'll try to AB test to hone the ads into something that will convert where they are (still not likely imo).
2) I'm planning on starting an affiliate scheme soon and I want to give them well tested ads.  Both to increase conversions and help assure affiliates that there's a good chance of them making money. Note that WP Engine do the same thing here, AB tested ads are part of the sales pitch: http://wpengine.com/affiliate/
3) I'd like to go back to the large site I advertised on previously and give it another go. Since they did get some conversions this seems logical. When I do that I want to use well tested messaging.
4) If the ads are getting some return but aren't profitable at the rates on BuySellAds.com I can cut out the middle man and go straight to these / other sites. This removes the commission element, allows me to find new sites that aren't listed on BSA and make deals on pricing. By then I'll know what I can afford to pay and make a profit.

For all of the above picking the right sites and slots to advertise on is important:

1) Views shouldn't be wasted on multiple page refreshes so forums are out.

3) In the past I've tried those tiny little ads and I think they get ignored in the wall of other ads. Placement is key. Above the fold is important. Remember users eyes move in an "F" motion on the page. You want your ads to be in the "F".

4) Sites vary wildly in their advertising costs. Take the time to trawl through the advertisers in your niche and go with the ones which are likely to be cheap and profitable. Big well known sites tend to be expensive.
Jonathan Matthews Send private email

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics