* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Generating sales through fear

Something I saw on an app for the iPhone for generating sales is to play on the user's fear of losing their settings/prefs for their app.

Normally, you'd save app settings somewhere local, such as a config file of some sort.  My thought: why not store the settings somewhere else, like the Registry, so novice users can't access them easily, and re-installing Windows means they'll lose them.  The app could then have a button somewhere that states: "Backup your prefs to the cloud for only $10/year so you'll never lose them, or so you can retrieve them for use on other PCs."

That's basically what this iPhone app offered, and it intrigued me.  The app was free, but was generating sales through people's fear and paranoia of possibly losing their data.  Interesting!

Imagine if Windows had a service where you paid $10/year to save ALL your current Windows settings to the cloud. Your IE favorites, your installed app settings, your Wi-Fi settings, your desktop layout, etc.  So that when you do a clean install of Windows, you can restore those instead of installing everything and tweaking everything manually again.  It's a massive time-saver.

Of course you'd pay for that convenience.  Well, I would.  :)
PSB136 Send private email
Friday, November 22, 2013

Is it possible to create this as an .exe software, rather than SaaS?

I'd rather pay $50 now than $10 each year for 5 years, besides next year it could be $75...

Oh lordy, I'm ranting again.

I do agree it would be a huge time saver and productivity booster. I'd love to be able to just buy a new PC and enjoy the new hardware without having to start all over again with a blank PC.

AC

(although i suspect if you did have all the same settings and stuff, wouldn't you end up with the same slow, problematic computer you had before?)
Reluctantlyregistered Send private email
Saturday, November 23, 2013

This is where Windows 8 and iOS is heading, just remember there is a cost to it though.
Ducknald Don Send private email
Sunday, November 24, 2013

It's not a service for remembering your settings, but http://www.ninite.com lets you batch install popular programs.

I've seen SAAS apps that let you use the tool for free, but the sessions and your personal settings are not saved. For that, you need a paid account. The idea of generating sales through fear is similar to this, but I wouldn't get too gimicky in your sales tactics.
Nicholas Hebb Send private email
Monday, November 25, 2013

Why does it have to be through fear? Why not just 'peace of mind' or simplify your reinstall/upgrade process. Over the years one of the main reasons I've seen for people not to upgrade software or hardware was they had finally got there machines to how they like it to be set up and didn't want to have to redo it.

I do think the concept is a good idea. If it could migrate settings of apps from one version to the next that would be even better. It may be more important now with the push to get people off of XP.

It could be looked as a migration tool for the enterprise and home use.
TrippinOnIT Send private email
Monday, November 25, 2013

"Fear" and "peace of mind" are the same thing when it comes to risk of data loss.
Tuesday, November 26, 2013

I wander what you comments would be like if I had proposed what the poster did....
Fear? Really?
alexandar Send private email
Friday, November 29, 2013

Fear in the context used here is not in the malicious sense.  Fear can have several meanings.  I believe you're reading it in the malicious or bullying sense, instead of the innocent safe sense.

@ PSB136
You just proved my point

hey alexander, did you hack any more customer's email accounts lately? ;)
IdeaSkeer Send private email
Sunday, December 01, 2013

@ Ideaseaker
No,but I generated more sales through fear
Tuesday, December 03, 2013

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics