* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Does a bounce rate of 64% sounds ok?

Google analytics shows my average bounce rate is around 64%
GerryLu Send private email
Thursday, November 21, 2013
It's not good but it's not as bad as it sounds.

Reluctantlyregistered Send private email
Friday, November 22, 2013
To give you an indication our bounce rate is 38.88%. Either your advertising campaign is too broad attracting disinterested people, or your website structure/content is ineffective. In the latter case, you can improve your bounce rate by implementing landing pages for specific keywords.
jamieb22 Send private email
I would be delighted to have a bounce rate of 64%.

It really all depends on your niche.  In my case, a lot of people are looking for free and open source software, so they get to my site, see that's not the case, and leave.
Doug Send private email
I am no expert in this (to put it mildly), but I think it depends very much on your niche, as mentioned above. If you get a lot of vaguely targeted traffic, then it could be a reasonable rate. Ultimately the most important thing is the absolute number of people who don't bounce, rather than any kind of percentage.

For comparison, my bounce rate is now 19% which is the lowest it has ever been. In large part this is due to a new forum, which has become quite active, and partly also it is because my niche is very small and not (too) easily arrived at by accident. Which means most people are actively seeking out my site, or searching for something very specific - which, for the most part, they find.

The biggest downside to a high bounce rate is going to be Google SEO; by all accounts, that's a big factor now in the algorithms. I have noticed recently that we are doing quite well in that area - which is probably again tied to the forum, which creates lots of new content for us, as well as keeping people on our page for longer.
Anon123 Send private email
Not really. Bounce rate is  the percentage of visitors who enter the site and "bounce" (leave the site) rather than continue viewing other pages within the same site. It meas only 36 % visitors enter to a site and don't exit the website.  Less than 50% can be considered okay and less than 25-30% can considered as good, I guess.
KevinShine Send private email
Monday, November 25, 2013
Hi everyone
Thanks very much for all your reply
Seems I need to work hard to low down my bounce rate
GerryLu Send private email
Tuesday, November 26, 2013
It is not terrible, it is great that you are looking at that.  Most people are always just trying to solve the conversion problem by getting more traffic.  You can get really good results by just refining what you already have.  If you are at 30% no need to refine further.  But from where you are, If you can cut your bounce rate in half you will probably double your installs, and sales without increasing your traffic.
C. Stark Send private email
Wednesday, November 27, 2013
Personally I think bounce rate is a rather deceptive statistic and I focus more on goal achievements (trial downloads/signups) and length of engagement.  This is especially the case because I use a lot of single page landing pages and each visit to these would count as a bounce because visitors only ever view that page.  So I've included this in my GA tracking code:

setTimeout('_gaq.push([\'_trackEvent\', \'NoBounce\', \'Over 15 seconds\'])',15000);

Basically this means that a visit isn't counted as a bounce if the visit lasts longer than 15 seconds.

I should add to this that trying to compare bounce rates between sites is rather pointless as they can vary wildly from market to market and site to site.
Mark Nemtsas Send private email
Wednesday, December 04, 2013
If your landing page is already informative enough, you'll see a high bounce rate. That doesn't mean they are disinterested, that means they already found the answer to their question, and may come later. Check the "new vs returning" metric to figure out if this is the case.
vv Send private email
Saturday, December 14, 2013

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics