* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Online Invoice Software

I would like to share with you guys INV24 online invoicing and billing software. We're currently developing it, so I consider it's in beta test right now, but it's completely functional. With INV24 you can easily create high quality PDF and html invoices and send them automatically to your clients. They will be amazed!

You can register your free account here at http://inv24.com/

Any feedback is appreciated. Thank you!
Aleksandr Smith Send private email
Tuesday, November 19, 2013
Aren't there a thousand other services like this already? What is different about yours?
Andy Brice Send private email
+1 to Andy, especially as the website suggests that the service is free.

For me, I've run numerous businesses for decades and have always used Excel for invoices, so I find sites like this pointless, but I guess there may be some people who don't like Excel.
Scorpio Send private email
Also agree with Andy. Are you maybe going after a particular niche?
Jose Send private email
Like Scorpio I don't find it a struggle to produce an invoice.

I just have a Word doc that I edit the details and "save as" with the client's name; it's not complicated.

(and as an aside, see what I mean? Another account, another username and another password, just to send an invoice?)

It's tempting to say why not go further and offer a more integrated solution, with full contact management, appointments, deadlines, you know, project management...? But there's already a lot of those, some of which are pretty darn good.

Maybe I'm becoming allergic to SaasS, especially with all the NSA stuff, but I can't help looking at this and thinking "Why should I send the details of my business, and the details of my client's and customer's businesses, AND our dealings together, to you?"

You say it's free but what's free about sending you a company's most intimate details? As a marketer I know such information can be worth a fortune, indeed have worked with clients spending fortunes for such contact data.

Asides from all that, the site looks clean and professional, the back end seems reasonably straightforward and easy to use.

I don't think you're doing anything overly wrong (just minor niggles such as the date format not suiting Americans, the number format seems weird to me as an Englishman, little things) but I have to question, just what makes this special enough to demand attention?

What's your unique selling point or proposition?

Reluctantlyregistered Send private email
Wednesday, November 20, 2013
In the UK, all accounting documents must be kept for 7 years (technically 6 years from end of account period). How do you guarantee that I would still be able to download copies in 6 years time or would I have to manage this myself anyway? If I have to maintain a master copy offline for legal reasons, why do I want a duplicate online?
Adrian Lock Send private email
+1 to Adrian for good point about keeping historical documents for tax purposes. Probably applies to other jurisdictions as well.

Also, that prompts the thought that data protection regulations in the EU are quite strict, so storing customer details at some random place online is unlikely to meet the various requirements.
Scorpio Send private email
Yep, the data protection thing is a biggie in Europe. I was going to mention it but figured my reply was too long anyway :o)

Adrian, it could be thought of as a backup.

Gene Wirchenko
Gene Wirchenko Send private email
Your demo page is truly beautiful. I wish my web app looked that nice and clean. So, regardless of all the negativity here, good luck!

BTW, not that it matters, but I bet I am the only commentor on here who has actually been to Tallinn ;)
GregT Send private email
OP is conspicuously absent. Looks like it was a drive-by posting.
I'm also mystified by the very frequent appearance of this type of website.
Maybe it's a common assignment for students?
Or maybe in some cases a way of acquiring information for fraudulent invoicing?
Drummer Send private email
fraudulent invoicing?

Why didn't I think of that?

I was thinking more about contact data to market with but yeah, fraudulent invoicing is a thing.

In fairness OP may have vanished because we've been so negative, but at least he got honest advice and feedback.

Thursday, November 21, 2013

Sorry, I went to Tallinn one time 4 or 5 years ago :D
Cocowalla Send private email
Anyone who expects only praise isn't going to last long in this business.
Hello again, guys! Thank you for all your comments. Your reaction was quite expected.  I understand that that such service isn't new, but I said earlier, we're constantly developing it.

We've been running online invoicing software in Estonia for a couple of years now and got more than 4k happy customers. Now we want our service to grow, so we're making different language versions and e.t.c.

We're registered company and it's in our interest to guarantee safety of your data.
Aleksandr Smith Send private email

your site looks great!

Don't let all the negative comments here discourage you - I am sure most of the commenters make pocket change themselves anyway :-)

There is always room for another competitor even in very competitive markets. There are millions of customers out there.

Jaywalker Send private email
Friday, November 22, 2013
I can understand that people question the sense in using an invoice SaaS if they only write a handful of invoices and send them by email.

I myself use an invoice SaaS because I have monthly, quarterly, and annually recurring invoices that are sent automatically via the SaaS. There may be ways to do that on the desktop but using an SaaS was the easiest way to get this done.

For some clients, I need to send a paper invoice by snail mail. Instead of buying paper, stamps, envelopes etc. I just click some buttons. Also, I'm not always working from my office. Heck, I don't even always work from my home country. A invoice SaaS really comes in handy in those cases.
Ralf Send private email
Thursday, December 12, 2013

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics