* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Using keywords in a product name

I'm thinking of using keywords in a product name.
SEO boost is on the first place for me, but branding is also somewhat important.
Let's say, my keywords are "media player".
I see the following naming alternatives:
1. Keywords and a postfix consisting of several letters. e.g. MediaPlayerX, MediaPlayerEx.
2. Some word, then keywords, without spaces. e.g. CoolMediaPlayer.
3. Some word, then keywords with spaces. e.g. Cool Media Player.
From SEO prospective, it seems that case 3 is the best because i'm likely to get links with anchor text similar to search query.
First and second case effect is not clear to me. Are"MediaPlayerX" backlink anchors better for "media player" ranking, then some arbitrary name without keywords?
What do you think?
Softmaker Send private email
Sunday, November 17, 2013

SEO is even more of a nightmare now than it used to be but I'd say 1 or 3, with 3 being my preference.

In fact if I were creating a new media player product now I'd probably call it Best Media Player...

(and could someone please come up with something better for Android's music player or 'Cubed', both of which suck?)

AC
Reluctantlyregistered Send private email
Sunday, November 17, 2013

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics