* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Anyone interested in teaming up and making a new product?

Hey Guys,

I'm thinking of getting together with 1 or 2 people here on JOS and putting together a new product.  SAAS or Desktop App.  (not interested in mobile apps.  Too saturated)

If you are interested, please send me a message with a skype ID so we can brainstorm.

I'm interested in someone who is Mid level.  Must have your own product released already.  I don't care if its successfully in sales, I just need you to know how to bring a product to market.

I myself have done a few of these so I need someone at about the same level experience wise. (Not looking to hold hands with a newbie,  Unless you have a brilliant idea you need help with.  In which case you probably don't want to share the idea anyway.)  But ideas are a dime a dozen.  Execution is key!

I'm curious if anyone else has teamed up with someone here on JOS and created a product.

I'm based out of US, but we can work remotely initially, location is not an issue.

When you submit your msg please state the following.

PLEASE NOTE: THIS IS NOT A JOB INTERVIEW.  BUT A JOINT VENTURE

IMPORTANT:
-Languages you code in.?  PHP, .NET, RUBY?  Just your main language.  State One.  Howe well do you know this language on a 1-10 scale?
-If you are a designer please provide a link to your portfolio.
-Are you interested in SAAS / Desktop / Wordpress Plugin / Any
-Have you created a product before?  Yes, Successful / Yes, Failed / No
-Please explain what failed or succeeded?
-What is your domain knowledge (What industry do you have knowledge in?  Such as healthcare industry, banking, eCommerce)

If you send an message via JOS, please post a note here as well that you sent a message.

If you have questions, please type here.
NewGuyOnTheBlock Send private email
Saturday, November 16, 2013

You should also give your own skills while you're asking for others to tell you their skills. Why should someone want to partner with you, what would you bring to the table yourself?
IdeaSkeer Send private email
Saturday, November 16, 2013

+1 IdeaSkeer

AC
Reluctantlyregistered Send private email
Sunday, November 17, 2013

"PLEASE NOTE: THIS IS NOT A JOB INTERVIEW.  BUT A JOINT VENTURE"

It should read:

"PLEASE NOTE: THIS IS NOT A JOINT VENTURE BUT A JOB INTERVIEW. "
codingreal Send private email

You first, big guy. You're probably not in my league, so I'd need to check you out before I waste my time responding.

>Just your main language.  State One.

Proof positive in my book that you're a recruiter. It baffles me how recruiting agents manage to convince themselves that programmers with years of experience can only be experts in one language.

>How well do you know this language on a 1-10 scale?

I rest my case.
Marlee Ammon Send private email

You guys are being too harsh.. there's nothing wrong with asking all those questions when choosing a business partner, but he should also answer those questions about himself, to make it even. Unless he has something to hide.
IdeaSkeer Send private email

Hi Guys,

Nope, I'm not a recruiter, nor am I looking for a job :)
I've been on this forum for years.  With different nicknames (mostly because I forget the passwords of the accounts I create)
Don't let the nickname fool you :) I'm not new to the software business.

I started my first product in 2005 (tho I won't mention what it is.)

To answer the questions.
I code desktop applications mainly in VB.NET and C#.

VB.NET 9/10
C# 6-7/10
(VB.NET Mainly because I've found vb.net to suite my needs most of the time so Its my preferred language of choice.)

But sure, any programmer who is a decent programmer does not code in one language.  I just meant, if you were to pick a language, What would it be.

For example.  I know PHP (Enough to get myself into trouble, but  to answer your question.  If I was to build a web based solution, it would be based on asp.net (vb or c#).

I know C#, VB.NET, PHP, Java, JavaScript, SQL, bit of C++, Pearl, Pascal, (HTML/CSS) LOL

As far as experience.
I've build and released 6 products to market as a 1 man team.
Some have failed (not succeeded enough to be worthwhile keeping live), and some have succeeded.
Couple of them have passed the six figure annual sales range individually for years now.

I'm not interested in the products you have built, or the markets you are in.  I'm not looking to collect data :) Which seems to be what some of you have thought.  I'm not open to sharing the names of my products or the markets / niches I'm in, therefore I don't see it fair to ask anyone else to share.  If I find the right people to work with (assuming this whole JOS post thing works out as planned) then I may be open to sharing actual experience and product names, etc..  But not in a public forum.

Anyone looking to flame this post, I ask that you don't.
There is no secret motive, or hidden agenda behind this post. 
Just crossed my mind to find someone to team up with that could complement my skills and come up with a new project to work on.
Most of my products have reached a level of plateau with sales, and no matter how much you try to A/B test and tweak and tweak, conversion don't get much better anymore.  I have not saturated any of my markets, but it gets harder to reach more customers without a heavy marketing strategy overhaul.  Its in a comfortable stage to leave on autopilot for a while and start something new and exciting.

I'm familiar with the following areas as far as running an mISV.  Let me know if I missed anything or if you have questions.

Development 8.5/10  (no one ever knows 10/10 if they claim to then ...)
Deployment/Distribution 9/10
Database Stuff 7/10
Marketing 7.5/10
Design 8/10
Server Management 8/10
Sales 8/10 (B2B Client Sales)
NASCAR 9/10 (I'm not a real NASCAR driver, just done 8 laps :)
NewGuyOnTheBlock Send private email
Monday, November 18, 2013

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics