* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Rankinity.com - Your feedback is needed!

Hi All,

We have just released a new online service http://rankinity.com. Rankinity is a powerful service for real-time website rank tracking in various search engines.

I would be glad to hear any feedback concerning functionality and design of our service and website.

Thank you in advance.
---
Rankinity
Rankinity Send private email
Saturday, November 16, 2013

Do you have options for tracking my ranking in Google USA, UK. or other locations?

Also, take a peep at my SaaS pricing rant thread. In fairness, I may want to track my ranking regularly, to see if SEO efforts are working, but this is a classic example of "Why do I need an account for this?"

If I can enter my site and a competitor's site and just go ahead and check, why do I need an account, complete with secret password?

Are there hordes of other people out there, desperately trying to figure out my password, so that they can check my ranking too? If so, is that a problem? If it is a problem, can't you solve it?

If I'm at the bottom of a mountain and want to ride a ski-lift to the top, I don't need to 'sign up' and create a super-secret password, I just pay the nice man and jump on the ski lift.

If I want to check my rankings in the UK, maybe the US and Asia too, why can't I make my selections, pay you and... check my rankings?

Why does *everything* have to have an "account" and a "password" and "secret question" and a "funny handshake" ... OK, maybe not the handshake, but jeez?

Sure, I get that from YOUR point of view you want my email for follow up promotions and all that. And yeah, if I have an account maybe that saves me entering all my details again - but why do you need my details in the first place?

If I were paying by Paypal or some similar thing such as bitcoins or whatever, I'd rather just enter my criteria, pay my money, wait a bit, get my PDF report or whatever. Anyway, that's just me going off on a tangent...

Back to your site - your pricing IS a little bit confusing actually.  It seems you're saying if I reduce the frequency of checks then the price goes down? Again, back to my rant, so many places charge monthly that I truly didn't believe your pricing and figured the "price per 30 days" actually meant the price per day, so if it says "$1.50" I presume that means $1.50 X 28 = $42 (eek!)

*blink*

Good Lord, it looks like you're actually offering the kind of pricing I've been talking about, where you pay for what you use - rather than just dumbly paying a fixed fee every month like an idiot.

Wow :o)

You do need to make the wording a bit clearer, especially as you're bucking the trend here.

I'm tempted to check some sites, just to encourage you - but I can't be asked to "create an account". :o(

AC
Reluctantlyregistered Send private email

Had a bad day, RR?  :)
PSB136 Send private email

Thank you very much for your feedback!

Local rank tracking.

You have an option to set any country, any city and any language when you configure Search Engines. Google is fully supported by our system.

Account creation.

Personal account is required to identify you when you return back to our service to check your website rankings. You may have many projects and have ability to share them with other users. Without account it is not possible to implement many features. And of course we do not send spam and do not share emails of our customers.

Nevertheless, I agree that some part of the service could be accessible without account creation. We'll think how it could be implemented.

Pricing.

The main benefit of our pricing model is that you never overpay. You pay only for keyword checks and can create unlimited number of projects and share them with unlimited number of users.

All our competitors use subscription based pricing model. For example you can choose "20 USD for 50 keywords" or "50 USD for 250 keywords" per month. But what if you need to check only 60 keywords? - In this situation you must pay 50 USD as for 250 keywords. Feel the difference.
Rankinity Send private email

--------------------------------------------
Personal account is required to identify you when you return back to our service to check your website rankings. You may have many projects and have ability to share them with other users. Without account it is not possible to implement many features. And of course we do not send spam and do not share emails of our customers.
--------------------------------------------

Exactly what I would have imagined as a customer. Although access without signing on is good it wouldn't be my first thought for this service.

I'll give an example of where it may be a good idea: some kind of free trial. But once I give you my money I expect you to keep my data for a reasonable amount of time and keep it private. Can't do that without a login.

The fact you allow signin through Google is good but I'd make it more prominent, like this...

https://trello.com/signup

... something to test?

-----------------------------------------------------

Although I haven't looked through the site thoroughly, I have a couple of initial impressions:

- Aesthetically it's excellent. Nice work.

- I'm not to sure about the domain. It took me about five reads to figure out how to pronounce it (& I'm still not sure). Perhaps you could do something with camelcasing in the logo but I doubt it will roll off the tongue.
Jonathan Matthews Send private email

PSB136 - actually a pretty good day, which is probably why I was snappy at it being disrupted by the all too (too!) familiar;

Name

Email

Password

Password confirmation

Kind of stuff.  : )

I think in the early days it was rather nice to have an account on a website, a bit like a bar tab in your local friendly bar, where everyone knows your name blah blah.

Today I find it an irritant. Hey, look at my name, Reluctantly Registered - because all these "accounts" get too much after awhile. I have both Roboform and Lastpass but sheesh. Lemme look at Roboform.. I have 420 "accounts" at various sites.

Without something like Roboform there's no way on this planet I could even begin to remember that many passwords. It's crazy.

I mean, can you imagine trying to walk into Walmart..?

"Whoa, stop Sir. What's your name? Have you got an account? What's your password? Could you tell me your email address Sir? Think of a secret question..?"

Urgh

If you want me to create an account at least give me a discount and a chance to win a Volkswagen Polo or something...

AC

How about a bandwagon, RR?  Maybe, the one that every site is jumping on with all these accounts!

Good ideas tend to get copied.  Sometimes, that ends up making the good idea not so good.

Loyalty cards are another area that has been over-jumped.  Unless I am very interested in the products/services, a loyalty card is a slight negative to me.

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko
Gene Wirchenko Send private email
Monday, November 18, 2013

I kid you not, my wife has a separate purse in her bag just for such cards; she must have well over 100 of the darn things.

Personally I think shops should charge her extra for the amount of time she spends digging through that purse, dropping plastic cards all over the place as she tries to find the right one.

I know many places use a Google account as a sign-in but was wondering if there's room for  a cross-site, cross-platform ID service?

We see that with comments, such as Facebook and Disqus. I'm surprised there isn't one specially for SaaS business products?

AC
Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Regarding Disqus, some sites have it set up so that you must sign in in order to view the comments.  I pass on that.

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko
Gene Wirchenko Send private email
Wednesday, November 20, 2013

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics