* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Google Adsense revenue plunging

codingreal Send private email
Thursday, November 14, 2013

Last year AdSense made $12bn for Google.  This year it made $12bn.  This is "plunging"?

The plummeting red line on the chart at the top of that article is not a chart of sales, it's the first derivative of sales.

This obsession with growth really pisses me off.  When a business makes $12bn year on year, and that gets reported as some sort of failure, there's something very wrong.

I work for a successful software company.  We make products that people love.  We've been profitable every year for over thirty years.  We haven't grown in the last fifteen years.  Are we a failure?
Richie Hindle Send private email

0 growth != "plunging"

I'm not sure the Internet has been a good thing for journalism.
Andy Brice Send private email

> This obsession with growth really pisses me off.  When a business makes $12bn year on year, and that gets reported as some sort of failure, there's something very wrong.

It must be all about investors.  If the business is merely standing (profitably) still, then stock prices won't rise ever higher, and people can't make a killing on the Google they bought 6 months ago.
Racky Send private email

I didn't get "failure" from the article. I think the point of article is that publishing partners are about to make less money. AdWords revenue is up trending. I didn't mean the "beginning of the end" of Google. I meant the end of AdSense party for all the affiliates/partners etc.
codingreal Send private email
Friday, November 15, 2013

Remember Adsense is for site owners to make money displaying ads, whereas Adwords is where you advertise.

This is from 3 things:

1. Some site owners were scammy, with robotic clicks and such, creating click-fraud or generally worthless clicks

2. Because of 1, many advertisers turn off the 'content network' option (inc those who turn it off without testing it; it works well for some people/products)

3. Google is so opaque nobody knows if they're really paying out as they should, revenues have declined so many site owners are now doing away with Adwords. What's the point of publishing a site, just to tempt visitors into leaving again? It's only worthwhile when Google was paying out decent rates.

Today we see the click rates going higher and higher, while payouts go lower and lower - and no way of checking anything (or even knowing what the percentage is meant to be)

I'm one of those site owners that can't be bothered with Adsense now. It used to be a handy, hands-free extra income, now it's  a hassle for peanuts. Not worth the bother and a waste of good visitors.

AC
Reluctantlyregistered Send private email

It means that the web based advertising that adsense targets is hitting the saturation point. It looks like adwords is still growing at a decent clip and admob and youtube still show good growth.
Foobar Send private email

Admob might be growing in terms of expenditure, not in ROI

AC
Reluctantlyregistered Send private email

Andy Brice: "I'm not sure the Internet has been a good thing for journalism."

Or is it the other way around?

Film^WVisual medium at 11.

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko
Gene Wirchenko Send private email

>Or is it the other way around?

Perhaps they deserve each other? ;0)

The way 'proper' investigative journalism is being laid waste is a bit worrying though.
Andy Brice Send private email

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics