* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Anyone suggest an alternate option to .Net Reactor for protecton

Hi Guys,

I've been having issues with .net reactor recently and would like to look for a better alternate to protect my .net 4.0 app.  and be usable with win8.
What do you use for .net app protection.
NewGuyOnTheBlock Send private email
Tuesday, November 05, 2013

I've said this before a while back, but I'd still recommend Babel.NET.  It's good value for money, the documentation is first class, there are regular releases and support is really excellent.

I should add that I'm not affiliated with Babel, I'm just a happy customer and have been for a few years now.

I'd also recommend that nobody touches .NET Reactor with a barge pole, as support requests, issues with the application, cries for help etc are all simply ignored.
Cocowalla Send private email

Does it just scramble the code? or does it created a protected exe that cant be opened in a decompiler to view the obfuscated code?

Please try http://www.gapotchenko.com/eazfuscator.net/features

This is the only one working for my application. Handles even the messy WPF resources correctly. Most important the author (not related with me) supports you in case of a problem.

My understanding that the 'protected exe' techniques don't work with .NET.
Carsten Send private email

any recommendations for babel.net?
it does not seem to do native code exe conversion like .net reactor does. so it cant be opened at all in decompilers.

I'm surprised .net reactor is still going, as they were famous for terrible/non-existent support at least 5 or 6 years ago.

I presumed they'd already closed down. I second the "not even with a barge pole" thing.

AC
Reluctantlyregistered Send private email
Wednesday, November 06, 2013

@NewGuyOnTheBlock

From memory, the .NET Reactor 'native' code generation just generated a native exe wrapper than extracted the .NET code at runtime. I think de4dot is still capable of reverse-engineering this.

Babel.NET has something similar, "MSIL encryption", which encrypts the .NET bytecode without using a native wrapper. I'm not sure if de4dot can reverse-enginer this, but I'd guess so.

Babel.NET also has a whole host of obfuscation methods at its disposal, including anti-decompiler tactics, renaming of methods, types etc, control flow obfuscation, emition of invalid opcodes, encryption of strings, values and resources.

IMO, you need to remember that obfuscation simply will not prevent someone determined from reverse-engineering your code, and go for a solution that is 'good enough', that has a range of features, is good value for money, and is actively developed and supported. For me, that's Babel.NET.
Cocowalla Send private email
Wednesday, November 06, 2013

Consider Crypto Obfuscator For .Net - http://www.ssware.com/cryptoobfuscator/obfuscator-net.htm

It supports .Net 4.0/4.5 apps and Windows 8 apps.

DISCLAIMER: I work for LogicNP Software, the developer of Crypto Obfuscator.
ssware Send private email
Friday, November 08, 2013

I am a happy user of Eazfuscator.
I do not know enough about obfuscation to tell you how secure it is, but I do know that I tested perhaps 5-7 solutions against my WPF app and Eazfuscator was the only one that worked out of the box.

There have been a few issues along the way, and the support in each case has been first class; fixes have been applied and new versions released promptly. This is the sort of service you rarely get from larger companies IMO.
Anon123 Send private email
Friday, November 08, 2013

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics