* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Are programmer peer reviews a good performance metric?

The title mostly says it all: Are programmer peer reviews a good performance metric? Or are they not? And why?
tbodt Send private email
Sunday, November 03, 2013

Need more details of the specific case.

I know how good the people are who work for me.

Clearly for the scenario you mention to make sense, managers have no idea how good their employees are.

This sounds like management must be incompetent or asleep at the wheel.

So we need more information about your company's specific case in order to determine which it is and then how best to proceed with that knowledge.
Scott Send private email

Here's a related question.

How should management handle it when everyone complains about this one new programmer and goes on and on about his screw ups, the damage he does to the code base, and his inability to do anything without being shown step by step what to do?

Should management promote him?
Scott Send private email

Scott as opinionated as always - just remember that not everyone is as awesome as you though ;)

I would ask that Q here. Be careful how you phrase it otherwise you will get more flak than insight (basically all programmers, every single damn one of us, has Illusory Superiority).

http://programmers.stackexchange.com/
Ryan Wheeler Send private email
Monday, November 04, 2013

This Q is kind of related http://programmers.stackexchange.com/questions/109501/whats-the-most-important-trait-of-a-programmer-desired-by-peer-programmers

If you do x-post make sure you are clear you're not talking about code review as such.
Ryan Wheeler Send private email

"good performance metric"
Peer review is good, as long as the entire set of peers benefit from a better final result (and I'm talking about tangible benefits like bonuses), AND the final result benefits the business.  Anything else and peer reviews are bad.  Performance reviews are a management function, and peer management is a clusterf**k.  Self-reviews are bad enough, their only purpose is to take away the employee's right to defend himself from a manager's incompetent review.  I agree with Scott, this scenario only makes sense in situations with a major failure in management.  In those situations, the performance of programmers doesn't matter, the final result will be bad for the business, no matter what.
Howard Ness Send private email

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics