* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Software Review

Hi all,
I would love to hear some feedback for Darcy Ripper, is a useful and reliable web crawler with great work load and speed capabilities.
What do you think about it ?
If someone is interested in any kind of partnership contact me.
You can Download the software from darcyripper.com . At this stage is free to use .
Dan Mitroi Send private email
Saturday, November 02, 2013

I'm not entirely sure I understand just what this thing does?

Of the opening paragraph/headline, most of it can be removed;

"Darcy Ripper is a powerful pure Java multi-platform web crawler with great work load and speed capabilities. Darcy is a standalone multi-platform Graphical User Interface Application that can be used by simple users as well as programmers to download web related resources on the fly."

The only part of that you need as an opener is:

"Graphical User Interface Application that can be used by simple users as well as programmers to download web related resources on the fly."

That makes some sense but I'm still not sure what one would do with it?

For an example, I have 2 different websites that I get weather and tide information for fishing, plus a 3rd site that tells me the expected wave height and wind direction. Could this app create a simple one-step GUI that could visit each site, download the relevant data and present it all on a single dashboard?

Is that the sort of thing it's for, or am I missing something?

AC
Reluctantlyregistered Send private email

I had a quick explore around the website, but I have no clue what this thing does or who would want to use it.

There is way too much text and complex graphics, so it put me off and I couldn't be bothered to read it all.
Scorpio Send private email

Hi AC,
Thank you for your time.
At this time Darcy Ripper is a desktop application whose purpose is to make it easier for the user to download web resource (e.g. images or HTML pages) to the local machine.
Check out darcyripper.com/features.html

We intend to develop a professional tool soon.

For now Darcy Ripper provides a large amount of configuration settings that you can specify for your download process, in order to obtain exactly the web resources you desire.

Thx again,
Dan

I recommend you identify your target audience.

Is it technically unknowledgable people at home who don't understand something like curl?

Is it businesses who need non-technical staff to download sites?

Then rewrite 100% of your site copy targeted to these users.
Scott Send private email

Thank you Scorpio,
Yes, thank you for your feedback, we must clearly state maybe on the front page what exactly Darcy does. It can be used as an offline browser, website backup software .

I am really grateful for your feedback.
Dan

Scott,
Thx for your feedback!

I didn't expected to find on this forum so helpful people.

Indeed we have to establish our target audience. The back end of Darcy can be used in many ways. This is a beta release so our mainly purpose is to get as much feedback as we can so we can establish the future development path of Darcy Ripper. 

Thank you all again,
Dan

Ah, for saving sites offline?

That does actually interest me, for I have a massive "swipe" file of successful websites. My current software is CaptureSaver, which is good but sometimes frustrating.

Is it easy to import/export? I'll take a looky...

AC

Mmm, not my cup of tea really.

Seems to attempt to download the entire website and every page linked, including external, all as individual files, rather than complete web pages.

Does it download what those sites are linking to as well? Does it ever stop..?

(I'm sure it has some setting in the settings that just needs setting but...)

I'm sure there must be some kind of use to it but I think you need to present some user-scenarios, if only to help people understand what it's for.

And of course it's raw as hell, no right-click, no tooltips. Worse, before I quit the thing it downloaded about 10 MB of images and facebook links etc etc - and I'm not sure where it saved them? The usual trick of opening a new file just opens My Docs and no ".djp" files.

AC

Darcy Ripper - isn't he a character in a Jane Austen novel?
Andy Brice Send private email

@AC: Once I've taken the time to study Wget options:

http://blog.dmitryleskov.com/web-development/retrieving-web-site-for-offline-view-using-wget/

So far it has always worked for me. But I seldom download sites for offline view.
Dmitry Leskov Send private email
Monday, November 04, 2013

For swipe files I'm generally not interested in the whole site, just the landing/selling page.

The software I use seems to do a good job of getting the whole page, with images etc.

Snagit set to scrolling could do the job too, though obviously the result can't be edited.

AC
Monday, November 04, 2013

The web site has issues when viewed through Opera - the menu "jumps".

"offline website downloader that can be used by simple users" - who are those simple users?

Half of benefits are not really a benefits, but a must-have for such kind of software, like "download progress" or "http/https support" and so on. It's like someone selling a text editor will mention a benefit "can save/load a text file".

On the download page it's hard to find a download link. It's almost invisible.
Kuzmitskiy Dmitry Send private email
Sunday, November 17, 2013

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics