* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Meta: Spam

There seem to be a lot of spam posts here recently, which haven't been deleted. I'd be happy to help if the mods are too busy.

Also, I've been getting a lot of spam emails via this site, mostly about Ugg boots, which is bizarre. It is a safe bet that most people here are male and not Joey Essex, so spamming us about Ugg boots is less than optimum.
Scorpio Send private email
Thursday, October 31, 2013

About the spam visible on the site, I noticed the delete feature seemed to be broken earlier today so deleted spam is showing up. I've filed a bug with Joel, hopefully it'll get fixed.
Jonathan Matthews Send private email

That's cool. Not a problem really, just thought it weird.

Yep, I've been getting the email spam too.
James A. Send private email

We are deleting spam as usual. The ' We Produce and Sell High Quality Fake & Real Documents As Listed' thread is showing as deleted to me. But you can still see it?
Andy Brice Send private email

I can see it.
James A. Send private email

Yeah, they are still there.

I see 2 of them

AC
Reluctantlyregistered Send private email

Hmmm. Something broke. I guess we'll have to wait for Joel to respond.

FWIW: Although the messages are visible on the site, they are not in the RSS feed.
Dora Send private email

@ Andy "We Produce and Sell High Quality Fake & Real Documents As Listed' thread is showing as deleted to me. But you can still see it?"

It just goes to show that they know what they are doing
alexandar Send private email
Friday, November 01, 2013

Interestingly, I saw the same spam on the TechInterview forum (which is dead, but I still have moderator privileges for) and the messages were flagged.  I then deleted them (from viewing).

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko
Gene Wirchenko Send private email
Friday, November 01, 2013

Something about the Fog Creek server configuration changed, which is causing this problem.

I've identified the problem, and asked the sysadmins to fix it (which might take a day or two). Sorry for the trouble.

Moderators -- please keep deleting things that are spam, even though they will keep showing up until we fix this problem.
Joel Spolsky Send private email
Saturday, November 02, 2013

Thanks Joel.
Jonathan Matthews Send private email
Sunday, November 03, 2013

Thanks Joel. Now if you could just stop the Ugg Boot spam, that'd be great ;-)
Monday, November 04, 2013

Should be all fixed now!
Joel Spolsky Send private email

Thanks Joel.

Death to Ugg boot spammers!

Great and thanks to Joel and the team for such a speedy response.
Tuesday, November 05, 2013

I keep getting Ugg boot replies to threads.  Is the spam that it being mentioned?

I certainly have a high brand awareness of Ugg boots now.  I also decided I will never buy their products and that I will not accept them for free.  I am still open to accepting payment for accepting them.

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko
Gene Wirchenko Send private email
Tuesday, November 05, 2013

@Gene
There were spam threads (fake IDs) on the forum and also a load of spam emails sent via the site (Ugg boots).

Given the likely demographic of this forum, I'd be pretty unhappy if I was Deckers Outdoor Corporation who owns the trademark for Ugg Boots, as a lot of effort is being wasted which will have zero impact on sales.
Saturday, November 09, 2013

It didn't use to seem such an issue, but I have had 10+ now from the same Ugg boot mob in the last week - starting to get a bit irritating. I don't particularly want to ban business of software originated mails as I do get the odd useful one.

I would also say that I am an Ugg boot wearer (having lived in Aus for a few years), although neither female or from Essex. Great things, especially in my cold office. I'm not tempted to buy a pair from these spammers though..
Anon123 Send private email
Sunday, November 10, 2013

I've been getting loads of Ugg boot spam, several per day, which is ludicrous. It is hard to believe that anyone is stupid enough to think that will convince people to buy something.
Wednesday, November 13, 2013

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics