* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Is .NET Framework 4 requirement affecting Conversion Rate

We have software product that require .NET Framework 4.0(Full) to work.Before installation it checks for .net 4 if not found it asks the user to download it by offering to redirect to Microsoft's website.Many people have downloaded the software there was no issue.But recently we got 2 negative remarks referring to the .NET Requirement.

I gave a few questions

1.Which version of .NET do you think is commonly installed from win xp and up.I know which ones come as default,but iam asking which versions are common

2.Do you think this will be reducing CR,it is not a problem if out of 1000 people 1 person avoids the software.But it is a problem if out of 100 1 person avoids it
david111 Send private email
Thursday, October 31, 2013

Anything that forces the user to install other stuff just to run your stuff, is a bad idea.  Yes, it'll affect conversion, and add to support cases when they don't "get" what they have to do to run your app.

Do you want the headache?  :)
PSB136 Send private email

+PSB136

If nothing else, your installer should ask them if they want to install it, and then automatically download and start the installer for them.
Doug Send private email

I have a .net 4 dependency and it hasn't been a problem, it's been shipping as an update for some time and nearly all of my customers already have it installed. The world has moved on.
Ducknald Don Send private email

We have two commercial products that run on .net 4. We wrap the 43mbs into our install package and install it automatically if it's not already installed.

Nobody cares about the download size, and no customer has queried the extra installation when it's had to happen. The only issues we've ever had have been when a potential user tries installing it on a pre-XP SP3 machine, and that's only a very tiny fraction of 1%.

It's simply not an issue. But I would definitely include the install in your download rather than kick off a second download, or worse still, make them go and find it themselves.
Marlee Ammon Send private email

I think if you install it automatically as some have suggested, it would be fine.  But if they have to be redirected elsewhere to get and install it, you'll probably lose some.

Just today I was trying out a software for providing web assistance and it had a notice that a certain .net framework was recommended and I could click to install it. 

I uninstalled their software instead.

Not because I was confused about installing the .net piece, rather because I was concerned my clients would also need to install it.  This may have been a baseless fear but the whole reason I was looking for a new web support software was to make connecting as simple as possible for them.
Emily Jones Send private email

A prompted install with the runtime included is definitely okay.  I'm always against the concept of "you must download this first".

A lot of people these days are into portable apps too, and they know what a runtime is and are vehemently against them.  You'll never get sales from those people, because they like to take your app from PC to PC on a USB stick and run it anywhere.

So, if possible, eliminate the need for runtimes altogether, so that anyone can run your app instantly no matter where they are.
Friday, November 01, 2013

A lot of people these days are into portable apps too, and they know what a runtime is and are vehemently against them.  You'll never get sales from those people, because they like to take your app from PC to PC on a USB stick and run it anywhere.

If by a lot you mean "almost none" then you are correct.  My user base would have no idea of what a portable app even was.  If I conducted a survey of my circle of fairly tech-savvy colleagues and friends I doubt any of them would know what they were either.  So making apps for my users that are portable would be a pointless waste of time.  And I bet it'd be a waste of time for the OP's users too.

If you have a dependency for your program then make sure your installer can detect if it's present or not and then offer to download and install it.  DO NOT rely on users finding and downloading a dependency by themselves.  Even a free install tool like innosetup is capable of doing this very smoothly.
Mark Nemtsas Send private email
Friday, November 01, 2013

> If by a lot you mean "almost none" then you are correct

Say what?  Portable apps are very popular and well-known.  Here's the current stats for one popular portable apps website as of right now: "219,776 posts in 28,705 topics by 183,262 registered users (view recent posts)
There are several thousand* users online [...]"

I'd hardly call 183,262 registered users for one website "almost none".  ;)  They certainly know what a portable app is.
Saturday, November 02, 2013

Currently we show a popup message from inno setup,if the user does not have .net 4 and it offers to re direct.The user ends up in microsoft's  page for .net 4 download.From there he/she can download it.

There are a few questions i would like to ask

1.If we code inno setup to download the .net framework,can inno install it by itself or does it involve running a standalone setup package by microsoft(which may involve restart).so the streamline is broken here

2. Should we downgrade .net requirement,We now need .net 4(Full) Not Client Profile.Even if the user has .net 4 CP,the installer will check for .net full.The point is the client and full have almost same size :) and we need the full.
Since win 7 have 3.5 installed by default should we downgrade the req to 3.5? This will involve rewriting some code(if possible  but if its possible it may not be difficult ).

PLUS .NET is backward compatible.

Will this have performance degrade issues.

Please tell me what you think
james121 Send private email
Sunday, November 03, 2013

*I'd hardly call 183,262 registered users for one website "almost *none".  ;)  They certainly know what a portable app is.

(I know this is a straw man but...).  Using the membership of a forum about portable apps as proof that a significant portion of the world knows what a portable app might be is like flying to Australia, seeing all the Australians, and concluding that everyone in the world is Australian.

I base my assumption on northwards of 12k companies and hundreds of thousands of support emails from users who cannot attach a file to an email, do not know where the windows control panel is, or understand that their data isn't magically backed up on our servers when their computer doesn't even have a internet connection.  These people don't know what a portable app is, they don't care.  They don't care how software installs or how it works.  Just so long as it works.  They don't care if you teleport tiny invisible pixies into their computer to install your software and make it work, just so long as the pixies are quiet and the software keeps working.

The OP's question is a good one.  Checking for, and installing .NET during installation is a real problem and one worth solving.

1.If we code inno setup to download the .net framework,can inno install it by itself or does it involve running a standalone setup package by microsoft(which may involve restart).so the streamline is broken here

My inno installers check for the correct .NET and depending on the version of windows, downloads and installs the package (or in the case of windows 8 install a Windows feature).  It's part of the program install process, not a separate process requiring action by the user.

2. Should we downgrade .net requirement,We now need .net 4(Full) Not Client Profile.Even if the user has .net 4 CP,the installer will check for .net full.The point is the client and full have almost same size :) and we need the full.
Since win 7 have 3.5 installed by default should we downgrade the req to 3.5? This will involve rewriting some code(if possible  but if its possible it may not be difficult ).

That might not be a bad idea if it's not too hard.  But if it is, I don't really see it as much of a problem if you require .NET 4 just so long as your installer handles it nicely.

If you need the relevant parts out of my inno installers just ask and I'll post them up here.

It depends on your product and who your potential customers are.

If you sell a software tool for highly technical computer people, and the tool is the only one available that solves an important problem, then I doubt they would turn away because the need to solve the problem should exceed any inconvience in extra steps to download and install.
Bill Anonomist Send private email

Thank You Mark.Its great to know inno can do the stuff by itself.Could you please post the Inno Installation Code here,so that we can incorporate it,it could also be useful for people who see this thread in the future as .Net Distribution is a common problem for the developers.

Also as you have said if its easy and possible i will try to downgrade to 3.5 or at-least the .NET 4 CP,since even if the user has .NET 4 i presume it will be CP not Full.

Do you think an additional download of 48MB is an issue.in the present world of high speed Internet ?
james121 Send private email

Might be best to contact me via email, there's a bit of code involved.  Email me at mark at timeclockmts dot com.
Monday, November 04, 2013

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics