* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Names of product editions

Hi,

Please advice good names for editions of software program.

I know good names for cheap edition:
- Lite
- Basic
- Starter

Also I know good names for top-end version:
- Professional
- Deluxe
- Premium
- Ultimate

But I can't find right names for 'middle' edition:
- Standard (which I don't like).
- Home (the only one variant which I consider)

It's important to find 'speaking' name which users from different countries can understand.
Igor Kokarev Send private email
Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Which two do you actually want to sell?

Often the reason we give 3 options is for decoy pricing, such as 2 sensible prices and then a ridiculous one which makes the other 2 look good, for example:

Standard - $29.99
Pro - $49.99
Pro Plus $199.99

Notice how suddenly $30 and $50 look positively cheap, compared to the $200 option?

Or you can reverse it:

Lite - 9.99
Standard $29.95
Professional $79.99

If "Lite" is so crippled and plain that few would want it, it can trigger a feeling of pride of ownership when going for the very best (Only the very best for you Sir!)

That's why when you ask "What name for the middle?" my response is to ask which two you're aiming to sell? The top two or the bottom two?

As a general guide, make the middle one sound the best - I like "Pro" but it depends a lot on the product and market, then think more about the bottom or top one, as they are what reflect your policy.

AC
Reluctantlyregistered Send private email
Wednesday, October 30, 2013

For the record, our B2B product has Standard, Professional, and Enterprise Editions.

You can leave the middle one nameless, so there will be MyProduct Lite, MyProduct, and MyProduct Deluxe/Premium/Ultimate/whatever.

Depending on the product, you may also be able to factor in the actual differences. For instance, a name like "MyProduct Team Edition" would clearly indicate that other editions lack collaboration features.
Dmitry Leskov Send private email
Thursday, October 31, 2013

Hi,

Many thanks for your responses and advices!

Currently we had only one edition - for advanced home users and enthusiasts and price at $70.

Now we added a pack of features to future version to attract professional users and we decided to split our product into two editions:

Middle version (features of current version) - $70
Pro version (existing features + pro features) - $130

We can't use just MyProduct name or 'Standard' for middle edition, because we earlier used both names to offer free life time upgrades (our old mistake 12 years ago). So we need to use another name for middle edition.

Are you sure you need three editions? Do you have enough new features to differentiate?

You can e.g. offer extended support for the "Pro" edition as an option instead.
Dmitry Leskov Send private email

I'm a little confused - you have 1 edition, you're going to add another.. thus the first one is the "middle"?

So by middle you mean standard?

AC
Reluctantlyregistered Send private email

My current product has one edition only.

I want to transform it to main edition (Standard edition) and introduce Pro edition with extra features.

I can't find alternatives to a word 'Standard' (edition).

MyProduct
MyProduct Pro

(for example, Smile has PDFpen and PDFpen Pro. They don't give a special name to the "non-pro" version.)
Nick Moore Send private email
Tuesday, November 05, 2013

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics