* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

HgLab: Site Review Request

I'm inching towards a 1.0 version and am now preparing a Marketing site for the product.

HgLab is a self-hosted Mercurial server which targets primarily Microsoft-centric software development companies. Basically, it's an "on-premise BitBucket".

Any feedback would be much appreciated:

http://hglabhq.com/

These two pages are not yet linked from the site itself:

http://hglabhq.com/purchase 
http://hglabhq.com/purchase/evaluation

Thanks!
Anton Gogolev Send private email
Wednesday, October 23, 2013

I don't know enough to critique much, because I'm not familiar with  your product, the problems it addresses or your target market.

I can say this though - "hglabhq.com" is an exceptionally ugly URL and looks like spam or a phishing site.

Another name for Mercury is 'quicksilver', so something like "quicklab" or speedysilver, or anything really, rather than hglabhq.com.

Hope that helps, somewhat?

AC
Reluctantlyregistered Send private email

@AC: Thanks! You're not the first one to note that "hglabhq" is not particularly great. Do "hglab.io" or "hglab.co" sound better to you?

Well my first question really is to ask in what way is it a laboratory?

And have you ever noticed how strongly the word laboratory resembles the word lavatory?

And when you shorten it to lab or labs it makes me think of a golden retriever dog, so...

dogshit?

Let's not?

Instead I suggest you go for something that can be pronounced out loud, super simple to spell and maybe with a benefit in it?

AC

@AC: There's already a well-established and well-known GitLab (over at http://gitlab.org/ , previously at http://gitlabhq.com/ ), an I'm kind of piggy-backing on this.

But thanks nevertheless, will consider something else.

OK, I'm looking at the site again..

What does "hg" even stand for?

This site isn't really saying what the mean benefits are, in fact you've hidden 'features' in a link.. let's look..

Argh!

"Refreshingly Simple Installation"

That's hardly a feature or benefit, is it? Sure, mention it but not as a headline. A fork in my forehead could be easily installed with just a sharp jab - but I don't want one.

Obviously I'm not your target market but I'm trying to figure out what it does and why...

OK, access control, source code control, it's all about control, right?

So stick that in the url.

And in your headlines ;o)

AC

Yes, I know a number of sites use the "lab" thing, often with funky graphics of bubbling test tubes and the like.

However it's a bit stale now, and I certainly don't recommend copying your main competitor's name - that's just flattering them and demeaning you.

If they're pushing "lab" I'd push something like;

"Why keep experimenting, when you can take control now?"

or some such.

You get the idea, right?

AC

@AC: A succint way to describe HgLab will be "on-premise BitBucket" or "BitBucket on your own servers", but I really don't want the "X is Y for Z"-style positioning.

As for hg/Mercurial - you're clearly not my target audience :) . That's a Version Control System, a very "programmy" kind of thing. HgLab is basically a central server where programmers keep their source code, hence "Self-Hosted Mercurial Server".

Now that you say it, highlighting more of core features on the front page will be a good idea.

"Simple Installation" _is_ a benefit, compared to what it takes to get up and running with existing open-source solutions. Not sure if this is ethical to explicitly mention how sucky competitors' installation is.

I agree that "hglabhq.com" looks like someone just typed some random stuff on the keyboard.  It'll probably be prone to typos by customers too, or when they write it down for others as a recommendation.  ("Hey Joe, that web address you gave me didn't show anything!  But never mind, I found an alternative instead.")
PSB136 Send private email

"lab" and "hq" both in the same name seems weird. One or the other is desperate, but both is just bizarre.
Scorpio Send private email

The product tour looks great, you've done a good job describing what it does.

But the one thing I didn't get: is it easy to maintain the installation? How do I know? This is also an issue for most teams.
Bring back anon Send private email

Nasty URL aside, the site looks somewhere between good and excellent, very professional.

The idea behind it is clear; I am not familiar with Mercurial but I know what it is, also, I know the periodic table and that convention of using 'Hg' this way.

One minor issue: in clicking around for a few minutes I could not find a cost. 'Purchasing FAQ' just took me back to the home page.

Good luck!
GregT Send private email

@PSB136: Again, do "hglab.io" or "hglab.co" sound better? It's not that I'm heavily invested in "HgLab" per se, but I really cannot come up with something that's at least tangentially related to Mercurial/Hg, has decent domain name and is not trademarked.

@Bring back anon:  Thanks!

Yeah, the maintenance part I should also include. Maintenance is trivial: upgrade to new version means just replacing all files under installation directory with newer ones. Everything else is handled automatically.

@GregT: Thanks a lot!

"Purchase" page is not yet linked to from anywhere on the site. It's available over at http://hglabhq.com/purchase .

I would put the purchase link (when available) in the header menu instead of the footer. For search indexing / SEO purposes, you may want to double-check your text to make sure the myriad ways of saying source control are covered.

Other than that I think you nailed it. Looks great.
Nicholas Hebb Send private email

Dump the name. Try lean domain search to find a new one. I tried with mercury and ended up with a few that looked good: mercurykit, winmercury, mercuryex, more...

Everything else looks really good. Good luck!
consultutah Send private email

You definitely need a domain name that you can pronounce easily to others.  What you have now just doesn't roll off the tongue.
PSB136 Send private email
Thursday, October 24, 2013

Since Joel did hginit.com, I like hgcommit.com.
Nicholas Hebb Send private email
Thursday, October 24, 2013

I would dump hg and use the word mercury or mercurial instead.  You're selling to programmers, not chemists.  I wouldn't want to look up the periodic table every time I wanted to remember your product name.
DanDan Send private email
Friday, October 25, 2013

For search indexing _SEO_ purposes, you may want to double-check your text to make sure the myriad ways of saying source control are covered.
lilyjoin Send private email
Saturday, October 26, 2013

Your site is looking nice and clean.

I am agree with guys about your domain name. It's looking like something random. Also note, if your domain contains one or two most important keywords, your site will appear on the first page of Google search by these keywords.

For instance search activation+cloud will bring up the activation-cloud.com on the first page, sure thing you'll get hglab.com when searching for hg+lab but I am not sure that somebody will search for 'hg'. Maybe it's worth to consider mercurialLab.com?

Also I think  it's better the 'Contact' link  should direct to page with some contact form and place the mailto link on it as well.
ActivationCloud Send private email
Friday, November 01, 2013

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics